weather meters for shooting long range

I pulled the trigger on it....for what I'm getting for the price it's at and what the original price is and what some of the others are priced at.....give or take around the $200 range what's another $160....midway is where they was running this deal and they do a good job of running these specials here and there on their items.

My recommendation is the Kestrel/Applied Ballistics 5700 with Bluetooth. It can be paired with a rangefinder with Bluetooth (to send the distance to the 5700) for a very fact and very accurate firing solution provided you give it the accurate cartridge data required.

Eric B.

Hello all, I'm trying to start to shoot long range and I'm slowly getting my equipment to do such thing. As of now I'm shooting my newly put together .224 Valkyrie that I put together using a .223 rem 700 sps varmint that I had and was never real satisfied with its performance and I ended up doing a remage 24" 1-6.5 twist barrel conversion on it.....shoots great!!! It shoots Federal 60gr factory loads up to 3410fps and a 3 shot group of .429" at a 100yds!! The 90gr fusions shot a .804 at a 100yds, not the greatest but not terrible, it was DARN HOT and I was getting excited about how it was performing....the group sizes probably should be smaller but I'm not complaining since it was so easy to do! I'm waiting on my other factory ammo to get here to see what does what...and later this year im going to do a 6.5 creed built in the same remage setup but all stainless and a trued faced rem action.

Long story short, id like to buy a weather meter but not sure what kind, what values of weather I need!! Yeah sure id like to buy the top of the line kestrel but that is a lot of coin. what weather meter will get me going to shooting long range? what values do I need to watch for in a weather meter?
Here is what I have been looking at:
I found a kestrel 5700 for $350
a 5500 w/o link for $260
been thinking on a wind mate 350-$141
really been thinking hard on the weatherflow precision shooter because I have apps that support this and is reasonably cost effective and I have my old smart phones that I can use basically just for this, for about $85....what do you all think? What is too much useless crap on these that is not necessary for the prices of some these? Thank you!
Buy once; cry once; be happy forever!!! I use the Kestrel 5700 Elite Applied Ballistics with Link......great kit, accurate solution, truing available!! Once you spend thousands on rifle, scope, ammo, other kit, why compromise the total output by going cheap on the ballistic solver including weather parameters.

Buy once; cry once; be happy forever!!! I use the Kestrel 5700 Elite Applied Ballistics with Link......great kit, accurate solution, truing available!! Once you spend thousands on rifle, scope, ammo, other kit, why compromise the total output by going cheap on the ballistic solver including weather parameters.

I did end up buying that 5700 applied ballistics but it is not the elite version, which I can always upgrade if needed....so far I am very surprised at how little wind this kestrel picks up!

I did end up buying that 5700 applied ballistics but it is not the elite version, which I can always upgrade if needed....so far I am very surprised at how little wind this kestrel picks up!
I've missed more lr shots because I didn't dope a 2mph wind properly than shots made in 10mph crosswinds

I asked around before buying a used Kestrel 5700 Balistic Weather Meter w/Link. Most responded with the the same reply of get what I honestly really need now vs what I think I'll need since I'm still learning. Of course I went beyond what I needed but I'm prone to doing stuff like that. It'll be able to do what I need it do and will be upgradeable should I find I've processed enough to warrant the need to.

I have had quite a few discussions on this topic and there seems to be a consensus that a Kestrel (with the applied ballistics) and a chrono are almost a necessity for LR shooting.
Of course, you can spend hours and hours behind the gun trying to dope, learn wind, building a manual ballistics chart, but I see having these tools as a way to cut down on a lot of costs. You can spend less time at the store buying oodles of ammo and more time honing your skills with the appropriate tools.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.