Gun for deer/long range shooting

tanata

I'm really torn on what caliber to get. I would like a gun capable of course for deer and something that can really reach out their if I put a nice scope on it. I'm thinking about a 270 wsm or 300wm. Is there anything else I should look at. Is the difference between 270 and 300 that great, the ballistics look about that same once you get out their aways (500 yards).

If you're only hunting deer, I'd stay with the 270WSM over the 300WSM. The 300 uses heavier bullets and has greater recoil. Either are suitable. I would look at different gun configurations and figure out how much you want the gun to weigh and decide how much recoil you want to manage. That's a personal thing.

I have a 270WSM, but if I had already owned a 270 Winchester, I wouldn't just stuck with it. Do you have any other rifles? It doesn't take much of a caliber to shoot whitetail @ 500 yds; shot placement it always key.

Good luck.

tanata, after playing with a 6.5-06 over the last year, I am really happy with this cal/cartridge. Wonderful for plinking out to 1000yds and beyond. Easily take game at 500yds, if you can hit them.

I am in the process of putting together another rifle for hunting. This will be my walkabout/travel rifle. Going to use the standard 270 and stoke it with 150gr SST. Instead of the 6.5, I wanted a easily available factory cartridge. The odds of forgetting ammo is slight but you just never know.

Thought about the 270WSM but the difference in energy is moot and the lack of ammo anywhere but a well equiped store is troubling. 270 win ammo can be bought anywhere I want to be.

Jerry

I have a 30/06 and a 243. I'm trying to find something in a large caliber, not that I need it but like large calibers, that is synthetic, and bolt. I would like the gun to be under or around 500.

Savage with Scope 300wsm at scheels for $400 or Winchester 710 for $420 with scope.Is there really a difference between these high priced rifles and the "cheaper" guns like the 710? How much more expensive is the short mag and how long will it stay more expensive then the regulard mag?

I am using a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in .270 WSM with a Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40 scope. The whole thing only weighs 7.25 lbs. (great for walking) and only cost me about $750. This last weekend I took a nice 8 point Texas Whitetail at a lasered distance of 314 yds. I was shooting the 140 Gr. Nosler Accubond. It fell after taking about 4 steps from where I shot it. The Accubond was found against the off shoulder hide, was nicely mushroomed, and had retained about 70% of its weight. I cant think of better results for a deer gun/load.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.