Wby Vanguard re-barrel suggestions

Yup magazine limited.

If you decide to rebarrel it, I highly recommend a Pac-Nor prefit. Then the thread is a non-issue for your smith.

Selling would pay for a new barrel.

I have talked to Pac-Nor about a 28" sendero contour, fluted barrel, truing my action, and fitting their barrel to it. I have done some research and it seems that most of the folks that have them speak highly of them.

A Remington mag box can be fitted to the Vanguard the same way a Wyatts box is fitted to a Remington, give you some breathing room. I would lean to the 300 Win for the simple reason that seating is easier and can be throated specifically for the bullet you want and not throated wayyyyy long and hope your choice bullet likes it.

That's sort of the way I'm leaning. I've always liked the 300 Wby for the extra velocity, but I'm thinking 300 Win will have a bit more room in either the Vanguard mag box, or a Remington mag box if I have it fitted for it. Thanks for the info on fitting them to a Vanguard.

If your ok with only having 1 follow up shot then because of the feed ramp you can put a single round longer then 3.560 in the mag box because the taper of the bullet and the feed ramp makes enough room. This is what i'm doing on my 7x300win vanguard until I do a box conversion. Also for a smith I recommend Kevin Weaver in CO he done the work on mine and I am extremely happy with it. He has just about every reamer you could possibly want and if you want something he dosnt have then he will buy the reamer. Are you hard set on staying with a 30 cal? What about intended use, range, and game?

If your ok with only having 1 follow up shot then because of the feed ramp you can put a single round longer then 3.560 in the mag box because the taper of the bullet and the feed ramp makes enough room. This is what i'm doing on my 7x300win vanguard until I do a box conversion. Also for a smith I recommend Kevin Weaver in CO he done the work on mine and I am extremely happy with it. He has just about every reamer you could possibly want and if you want something he dosnt have then he will buy the reamer. Are you hard set on staying with a 30 cal? What about intended use, range, and game?

That is interesting. I don't think I need to have a three or four round capacity, but two sure beats one. I think I would give that a try, then I could always fit a larger Remington box to it later if I wanted.
I am fairly set on 30 cal. My reasoning is that I want a gun capable of long shots on big game - elk, bear, nilgai, etc. I thought about 338 edge, but I plan on shooting it without a muzzle brake. I'm not sure I want to try and handle a 300 grain bullet near 3000 fps without a brake.
I've been shooting the 300 Wby with a light-weight barrel without a brake, and it's doable. And I like the 300 mags.

I have thought about selling it, but it's the first gun my wife bought for me, and i give it extra value because of it. What bullet are you shooting in your Vanguard you set up for 300 Wby?

I understand, but at what point is it like Grandpa's axe - all original after replacing the handle 3 times and the head twice. :D

Owner wanted it set up with Hornady 180 SST; I will set mine up with Barnes 180 TTSX.

I understand, but at what point is it like Grandpa's axe - all original after replacing the handle 3 times and the head twice. :D

Owner wanted it set up with Hornady 180 SST; I will set mine up with Barnes 180 TTSX.

Kinda sounds like my 7x300 lol, it started life as a 7 mag that my dad bought me when I was 12. Now the only thing left of it is the action lol. It still holds the same value to me tho and is why I chose it to build off of and not selling it to build something else.

Kinda sounds like my 7x300 lol, it started life as a 7 mag that my dad bought me when I was 12. Now the only thing left of it is the action lol. It still holds the same value to me tho and is why I chose it to build off of and not selling it to build something else.

I see from the guns you have listed that you also like the Vanguards.

And I've also got the Savage LRH in 6.5/284. It's a shooter.

I see from the guns you have listed that you also like the Vanguards.

And I've also got the Savage LRH in 6.5/284. It's a shooter.

Yes sir I do. I might have went with a savage for the 277 but I wanted to use the stock off of my 7x300 and do a color change on it so I went with another vanguard. the 277 is only 3.500" coal so it fits in the vanguard box nice anyways. The only thing that I can knock the vanguard for it being shorter then then rem action so that makes the big magnums a no go. There is always a mark-v for that tho :)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.