Wby 30-378 215 bergers

JD250

Hi all, just got my hands on some 215 bergers and can't seem to find many loads to give myself a starting point anyone have any luck with these and could point me in the right direction? Shooting out of 30-378 accumark with night force G7.
Thanks guys!

The Summer following the SHOT Show when the .30-378 was announced by Weatherby, I worked for Arnold Arms. We rechambered or rebarreled many rifles to that caliber. I cronographed the Norma factory ammo and found it lived up to the hype. It did indeed produce 3400 fps with 180 gr Nosler Partitions. The sad thing was that with the powders of the time, H-1000 and some 50 cal powders we could not achieve the factory performance with handloads. In 2014, Norma marketed the factory powder for this cartridge, Norma 217. That should be an excellent place to start. Nosler 180 partitions are out of style but I will bet that you will achieve the best velocity with Norma 217, Reloader 33 or VhitaVouri N-570.

Have you had your barrel nitrocarburized? It will preserve the throat at least twice as many rounds. Coating your bullets with HBN will also help.

D839 warship smokeless powder might do it, lol !

Just kidding, but wonder if anyone pulled a factory round to see if it was ball or stick powder?

Brice:
Have you ever pulled a bullet on a Norma factory load and seen a "ball" powder? How is "ball" powder relevant to help this handloader? He might want to hit his target at long range and that is why he is on Long Range Hunter.

Brice, please list the long range rifle load combinations that you have developed with "ball" powder.

The temperature sensitivity of "ball" powders (from St Marks in Forida) lead to the development of the Extreme series of powders by Hodgdon in Australia (ADI). I will present that the Extreme series is now being replaced at Hodgdon by the 7977 (the slowest of the new series from Canada).

I have never pulled wby factory round, I had been shooting gun werks loaded 190 vld's but could not get them to shoot sub moa which this gun should do. from what I have heard gun werks loads with retumbo as do many people with this gun so I am leaning towards starting with that just wanted to see if anyone had a proven load for these bullets.

Velocity does me no good if I can't get the gun to shoot sub moa I'd sacrifice a little velocity for accuracy just looking for a starting point then tweak it from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.