Waters Rifleman X bolt mags

Panhandlin Pat

Curious if anyone has tried these mags, specifically for the 300 win mag. I've always had trouble with the factory mags reliably feeding loads in fireformed brass, not to mention the COAL limitation.

I'd modified a factory mag, hogging it out with a dremel to fit my brass, but it's now laying in a pasture somewhere. Lost it out of my stock pack on a stalk last week, fully loaded. Did get the deer however.

Here's a link:

No info on the aftermarket mag. I am wondering if your modified factory mag that you lost worked reliably? Also, how does the fire formed brass differ from factory brass? Glad you got the deer and at least the lost mag didn't fall out of rifle as that is never good.

The modified mag worked much more reliably than the factory form. It's a 300 win mag, so the shoulder is further foward than factory brass. The mags are designed to hold the shoulder of the cartridge to save bullet tips from deformation. Also uses the same mag for 338 and 7mm mag, so the 300 is already maxing out the shoulder dimensions in the mag.

The reason my modified mag wasn't in the gun is because my spare mag had got stuck in the rifle. I later found the pin holding the catch backed out. I top loaded it, but it didn't feed reliably. I was pretty upset with my equipment. Was glad I heart shot the buck. Could have easily turned into a wreck.

I'll prolly just play Guinea pig with these things. Also going to go back and look for that mag, I'd like to have my adg brass and hammers back.

They make a tikka mag that has excellent reviews, so I'm sure their x bolt mag is fine. Just very expensive.

No help on the xbolt, but I use a pair of the Waters Mags for Tikka .223 which allow loading a longer coal. They've never had a feeding issue in literally thousands of shots. These mags are extremely high quality and well thought out, you certainly get what you pay for.

Update:
I ordered one of his mags, a single shot mag block, and 2 additional mags for a friend of mine. Quality is outstanding, the tolerances are tight and the mags feel very well made. I havnt shot with it yet but cycling rounds through it feeds smoothly and without hiccups. I'd actually say it's smoother than with the factory rotary mag. The mag protrudes down level with the grip on my McMillan, so it's not overly far. My only complaint is the catch is 3D printed and looks cheap. Nothing against its function, however.

Committed to ordering on a Friday, he shipped them Monday, and I received them Wednesday the same week, all the way from Australia!

Average cost per mag after shipping and fees was $192, not including the single shot block.

Attachments

• IMG_1720.jpeg
    IMG_1720.jpeg
    446 KB · Views: 31
Can you snap some pictures of the catch?

That does look like a rigid magazine from the bottom metal down, I was curious about the longevity of the hybrid style magazine. I am trying to get Browning on the phone about a missing Recoil Hawg rod with the newest rifle, I planned to bend their ear about ordering their new Target Max bottom metal in the process.

Can you snap some pictures of the catch?

That does look like a rigid magazine from the bottom metal down, I was curious about the longevity of the hybrid style magazine. I am trying to get Browning on the phone about a missing Recoil Hawg rod with the newest rifle, I planned to bend their ear about ordering their new Target Max bottom metal in the process.
Yes sure thing. He also sent an extra catch, along with an extra set of screws.

Update:
I ordered one of his mags, a single shot mag block, and 2 additional mags for a friend of mine. Quality is outstanding, the tolerances are tight and the mags feel very well made. I havnt shot with it yet but cycling rounds through it feeds smoothly and without hiccups. I'd actually say it's smoother than with the factory rotary mag. The mag protrudes down level with the grip on my McMillan, so it's not overly far. My only complaint is the catch is 3D printed and looks cheap. Nothing against its function, however.

Committed to ordering on a Friday, he shipped them Monday, and I received them Wednesday the same week, all the way from Australia!

Average cost per mag after shipping and fees was $192, not including the single shot block.
The price I am seeing on the 7-8 round mag for the 300 Win mag is a lot more than $192.00.
Am I missing something?
Shows that they are $265 before shipping

Last edited: