X Bolt rebarrel

JohnyRingo

I am kicking around putting a new barrel (Bartlein) on my 300 H&H X Bolt Stainless Stocker to get a little better accuracy. I am open to other barrels, but my research has led me to a Bartlein. Anyone have any experience in this project with a an XBolt or any opinion on this? I just can't get my rifle to get groups under 1" and I can shoot my other rifles at 1/2". My older Rem 700 H&H shot 1/2" all day, so I know the H&H can do it.

I have used a number of different aftermarket barrels when I have customized my rifles and the most recent is Shilen and I am getting a little better than 1/2 MOA with it. You should do well with a Bartlein, I see a lot of them at the Rifle Matches and they are all great shooters. The hot topic is the carbon wrapped barrels, while I do not have experience with them they seem to produce very good groups. The 300 H & H is the fore runner to many of the current magnums we see today and and very good cartridge to use for big game. Good luck with your build.

I have thought about going with a carbon barrel, but it will not fit in the barrel channel of my McMillan stock. I spent too much money on that stock to not try to use it. I am fine with the weight of a steel barrel. I just want a little better groups.

You will be happy with the Bart. barrel In the last few years I have been using benchmark also and have been very satisfied with them there are many great barrel makers out there right now hard to go wrong

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.