Warbird and 180gr velocities

No way is it a 180g going 3700-3800. The guy who said that is definately high...

A guy in our elk camp has a 308 Warbird custom built w/28" tube. He did not exactly go the route we all would have around here. His gunsmith sold him out on the speed, idiot anyways... He shoots a 150g Lazerhead (xlc basically with "special" coating) at like 3850fps or some crap like that. Extrememly flat shooting, and pretty hard hitting for a 150g bullet. But we all know here that BC and bullet weight far outdoes speed at LR... I shot it a couple times at a rock at 800 yards in elk camp and it gets there quick and still has more then enough wallop for elk, but if it was me, I woulda built it to shoot the 200+g bullets. I tried explainging to him that my 300 RUM w/200g AB at 3200fps was superior to his Warbird at about 800 yards and farther. He had a VERY hard time believing me....

I'll be talking to the guy later tonite. I was positive his numbers were out of reach, but you guys here at LRH helped me out. I am not a real long range hunter (yet), but the info to be obtained here is invaluable to a mid range (700 yds so far) hunter like me. Thanks guys. P.S. If I get rifle specifics and such I'll post.

I was at range yesterday shooting my Sako Warbird. 26" bbl. with Vais break. Makes overall length about 27" Trying to work up load using 180gr. bullets. The most impressive group was 180 gr. Accubond. 103 gr. Retumbo. Fed215M primer. I got avg. of 3265 fps. Bullets were moly coated. I set my chrono. 10 feet ahead of muzzle and added 10fps to reading. I also tried ScirrocoII, Speer GS, T.B.B.C. and Lazzeroni factory loads. All 180 grain bullets. Again , the Accubonds were by far the most accurate! I am wondering if the Moly coat slows them down? If so, how much?......BTW glad to see that there are other Warbird shooters out there....Dick

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.