Wanting to reload bullets,first time joining a community.

Backwoods towny

Been interested in reloading for decades,finally making time. No thanx to covid 19 pandemic. My father bought a rock chucker,he says in the 1980s, it was used and came with dies,powder and primers. SHOULD I trust primers and Imr 4813,h4813 that's been stored well for 40+years. Living in lancaster/dauphin area in Pa ,we get dry and humid weather. I'm going to reload 30 30 win. For a marlin and savage 340(mostly use marlin)I haven't found a charge for 30 30 with this powder,so I proble won't be using the powder any time soon because i don't have a 300 win. Mag. Or .308 .or 270. Yet

Every time I Google reloading ,shooting ,hunting it brings me here.

Welcome to the site. Your components should be fine if they were stored properly. H4895 and BLC2 are good powders to try with your 30-30. If I had to have one powder it would be h4895 for it. Read up on reloading the 30-30 they usually want you to crimp it. I never crimp them and they have been fine. If you decide you want to crimp get the Lee crimp die it is the easiest to set up. Most importantly have fun and be safe. Good luck on your path to better ammo.
Shep

To get started I would recommend buyer new powder and primers to avoid possibly having problems.

I had to store primers and powder in a garage for 15 year. I found the the primers still worked fine but most of the powder was degraded. The degraded powder had a rust colored dust I could see when I poured some out.

as seen in this thread most people do not understand primers.
if you have large rifle primers use them, but it is part of the formula of the load so make sure you have a couple hundred, or just go out and buy 1000( a brick) and be done with it. the 340, is mag fed and does not need a crimp, the lever gun may.
if you have to buy powder( I suspect you do) ask for suggestions based on the 30-30 and what bullet weight you will be shooting.

Welcome Backwoods towny. I'm a fairly new member myself and found this place the same way you did. The people here have probably forgot more than I could ever know and are very helpful.

Thanx for the info.
Got the lee precision die set for 30 30 win. Which comes with factory crimp. I got lee universal decapper and rifle charge,trim dies as well. Plan to add turret press soon. Bought load master set up for .380. No bullet feed yet. Yes I already have stuff to do 30 30 on this ,but will use the old rock crusher for a more consitant uniform load.
The old powder looks good. No discoloration or clumping. Is there a way to test powder ????

Reloading is a rabbit hole. Always something else to learn or try and so much fun. I would start by picking up a few loading manuals. And reading them. They can sometimes be found at goodwill or used book stores. Then, yeah, some new powder and primers just to be safe. Safe. Thats a word to keep in mind as you get started and progress. Good luck, and have fun.

Been interested in reloading for decades,finally making time. No thanx to covid 19 pandemic. My father bought a rock chucker,he says in the 1980s, it was used and came with dies,powder and primers. SHOULD I trust primers and Imr 4813,h4813 that's been stored well for 40+years. Living in lancaster/dauphin area in Pa ,we get dry and humid weather. I'm going to reload 30 30 win. For a marlin and savage 340(mostly use marlin)I haven't found a charge for 30 30 with this powder,so I proble won't be using the powder any time soon because i don't have a 300 win. Mag. Or .308 .or 270. Yet

Every time I Google reloading ,shooting ,hunting it brings me here.
That's because this is the place to be! use the search and I'm sure you'll find lots of information about any caliber you would like to reload good to have you along

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts