Long-time, First time

6XCShooter

Long time hunter shooter, First time LRH poster.
I don't care if it flys, crawls, runs, swims or jumps. Fin, fur or feather. I enjoy hunting it. And when there is nothing to hunt. I enjoying reloading and banging steel as far as I can see it.
gun)

OK some details.

I live in the Dallas Ft Worth area and generally have to drive 2hrs to hunt our ranch which is located on the Brazos River in Western Young County. Lots of critters and an occasional rare 150-160 class buck. I Deer hunt the two weeks of rut fairly hard but most time and focus in the field is on calling Predators (coyotes primarily). Like most places in our area we are overrun with feral hogs that require thinning out every chance we get.

I shoot and reload for .223 (both bolt & AR), .243win, 6XC, 25-06rem, .270win and .300wby. As my login indicates I really like shooting the 6XC with the 115 dtac bullet. A friend of mine up in the Texas Panhandle (canadian, tx) turned me on to this amazing wind bucking combination. Fairly easy to load for and makes doping the wind at longer distances much easier.

I have Steel targets at 300,500,700 & 1000. For every shot I take at a critter I probably take 100 at steel. (steel stands still at known distances and is much easier to hit...and no field dressing is required! and if I miss? just cycle the bolt for another try!!).

Most of my rigs are Remington 700's wearing Leupold glass. Bedded, w/trigger jobs. Nothing really high end yet!! I want to upgrade my hunting & reloading equipment while improving my shooting skills to somewhere beyond the average hunter but maybe not quite to the professional benchrest shooter level.

LRH has been a great and valuable source of information from some very knowledgeable people. In between trips to the ranch I spend hrs reading just to learn that the more I learn the more I realize I don't know squat!

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know more of the folks in the LRH community.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.