Wanted to shoot some feral hogs with my 6.5 PRC at longer ranges than normal

Mrvmax

But realize that I need a more stable shooting platform. I was on a state hunt in Texas so that means I am confined to a ground blind of theirs. You end up shooting out of a window from their self made blinds (which equates to 1/2' angle iron to rest the stock on). I had some hogs out past 300 yards and wanted to shoot but could not get stable to get a good shot. Next time I am going to take my shooting sticks to try and stabilize better.

I got a boar (about 150 pound with the PRC) at 40 yards and a piglet at 200 (with my thermal on my Benelli 30-06) but really wanted a long shot with the PRC. I never stopped to consider how stable the bench is and how unstable a single point rest is at longer distances. In the past the shots are usually 100 yards, maybe out to 200. But this blind would allow me shots out to about 5-600.

IMG_3132.png

My blind is 1" square tube frame up top over 2 1/"2 square tube frame floor, 2" angle iron base with 11ga steel shell and single piece cap. Walls are maybe 1 1/2" thick and it's heavy, that front bag is what I keep in the blind year round. I am going to get set of trigger sticks like @bamban mentioned for the rear, I normally just anchor off the captains chairs arm. Shot this doe at 140ish yds and this buck at 320ish yds out of that blind using just that front rest and chair pictured.

The far trees out of the window is where the buck was.

Some of our members use the BogPog Deathgrips for their kids.

Heavy blinds are a pain to move and set, but lightweight rickety blinds suck.

There are plenty of places to kill pigs in Texas, find a place with better blinds and accommodations. Plenty of members here with pig problems, you can probably get your fill of killing them in a few days and make new friends.

Once I am fully moved to the farm, y'all can all come kill pigs, every stinking one of them as far as I am concerned.

1427.jpeg
IMG_3705.jpeg
IMG_3382.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg
65980508532__8503BAC3-5BDF-4468-AB2D-747BC068EBE6.jpeg

But realize that I need a more stable shooting platform. I was on a state hunt in Texas so that means I am confined to a ground blind of theirs. You end up shooting out of a window from their self made blinds (which equates to 1/2' angle iron to rest the stock on). I had some hogs out past 300 yards and wanted to shoot but could not get stable to get a good shot. Next time I am going to take my shooting sticks to try and stabilize better.

I got a boar (about 150 pound with the PRC) at 40 yards and a piglet at 200 (with my thermal on my Benelli 30-06) but really wanted a long shot with the PRC. I never stopped to consider how stable the bench is and how unstable a single point rest is at longer distances. In the past the shots are usually 100 yards, maybe out to 200. But this blind would allow me shots out to about 5-600.

Maybe if you could take one of those tubes at kids use in a swimming pool. They are styrofoam tubes they are bright orange or chartreuse color. You slice it length wise and put that over that half inch angle iron.

Rich we call them swimming noodles.. Like a shooters duct tape - quick fix in a lot of situations! 😄