Want to build a long range rifle

muley75

Hey Guys,
Congratulation! I read many forums, but I have never felt the need to post. This will be my first. I have been thinking about buying or building a long range rifle for awhile but I am not sure were to start. I have spent time talking to the many different company like Best of the West and Thompson Long Range, all seem like great guys, but all have different opinions. The biggest challenge is $$. As you all know. I guess I have a hard time believing I need to spend $4000-$4500 to get a rifle to shoot 600-1000 yards. But I may be wrong in this that is why I am here. I would like to keep it between $2000-$2500 if possible.

I love to hunt, I hunt with every weapon that is legal in Utah. Bow, Muzzleloader, Shotgun and Rifle. I would hunt with a bowling ball if there was a season. I currenltly have a 270 remington mountain rifle and shoot it great out to 400 yards, and just got my grandpa's 264 win mag. I haven't done much with it yet. I would like to get something that I can elk hunt with and kill elk out to 600-800 yards. I like the 7mm but I would like to go to Africa in a couple of years and I wouldn't be able to take so I would need to buy another rifle. So I am leaning towards a 300 mag or a 300 RUM. I am also interest in a 325 short mag as well, just not much info about them.

So let's hear it. Everyone's opinion is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott

I would look at somthing like a 338 ultra mag, this would give you the option of up to 300 gr bullets. sounds like you have somthing to shoot, so take your time. Get a 338 ULTRA in a 700 remington, if it dont shoot as good as you like have it trued up and install a good barrel. $2500 should get the gun and the emprovements. Do you roll your owen (reload)?

Thanks for the advice, yes I do reload. However, the problem is I am not a technical guy at all. I get bored to fast reading information, I wish I didn't. I have thought about a 338 ultra, but I only weight 160 lbs. So weight of the gun is an issue. When I hunt it is not uncommon to hike 6-10 miles a day. The recoil does make me a little nervous. Not to hunt with, I will shoot a 416 at animal, but I think for long range I need to practice a lot.

What are you planning on hunting in Africa? Some of the larger game requires larger calibers (338 and up), but most of the smaller plains game can be easily taken with a 7mm. Remember, most game in Africa is taken at just a couple hundred yards, seldom over 400.

If I was going after Large and/or dangerous game in Africa, I'd get a control round feed 375H&H and call it good! For plains game, I'd use my 7mmRM.

For Elk at long range, the 338 RUM is a great round, but does have a tendency to kick a bit :D. The 300RUM is also a phenomenally flat shooting round. The 300RUM doesn't provide the barrel life that the 338 does though.

AJ

Muley,

Well for a first post you sure started a good one.

Here's want Kirby just did. I'd estimate well under $2k if you have a donor action and stick with the factory trigger. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/neat-little-rifle-just-finished-42404/

Here's one that I did. I bought a lefty REM 700 in 338 Win Mag. It was a great rifle and shot well but wasn't sexy enough. I bought a 338 RUM new take off sporter barrel for 40 bucks. For another 40 bucks I snagged a REM tupperware stock. I had the Holland QD muzzle brake from the Win Mag to the RUM barrel and had it all fit together.

The RUM outfit pushes the 300 SMK at 2735 with single digit extreme spread into 1/2 MOA more often than not, even down range.

The rifle weights 10.5 #s with the scope and bipod. A really great carry gun and when the long range ambush opportunity presents itself it can be seriously considered.

BTW, my grandson, all 104 pounds of him shoots the rifle prone all afternoon w/the 300 SMKs.

Sorry for the bad pic but it's the one that was available.:rolleyes:
V2-Side-View.jpg

Also just saw this. If you're an impatient fella this is in your price range. Also I think this rifle has a documented history.http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/338-edge-reduced-41882/

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone's imput. It sounds like the 338 is the most popular. As for the Africian questions. More than likely it will just be a plains game hunt. And truthfully I may just take my bow, that is if I even get to go with today's economy. But I was under the impression I would be required to take a 30 cal. or larger for anything in Africa. It looks like I need to do some more research.

I am not a gun collector I only own a couple of guns, but I shoot them a lot. So I would like to by something large enough for most big game around the world meaning, deer, bear, elk, moose, caribou, and plains game. I would think if some day I could hunt dangerous game I will be able to afford a bigger gun. Also I just like the idea of shoot accuratly out to 800 yards, sounds like a blast. Over the last year I have been able to tune my TC muzzleloader to shoot a 8" inch group at 300 yards with a 1x scope and my 270 out to 400-500 yard, but I have felt like there is not enough energy left to shoot elk that far with that caliber. I wish I new more technical data about the gun it might be fine. I just have worked of trail and error.

Can someone explain more about a 338 Edge. Is it the same as a 338 mag. Sorry this might be a dump question. Its okay to give me a little crap if you would like!

Scott

Scott,

The 338 Edge is nothing more than the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum necked to 338 cal.

It's most probably the easiest of the 338 adaptations to get along with and shot extremely long range.

Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge, a sponsor here, came up with the Edge moniker and makes a great shootin' stick.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.