W70 XPR in .300 Win Mag advice needed ...

FEENIX

Ed

Well, the XRP is not a Model 70, as it is a new design for Winchester. It does use the MOA trigger and the same barrels from the new FN Model 70. The trigger can be improved with a new spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. That is what I did with my M70 to get it just under 3 lbs. I could go less, just stopped there.

Now, I have not held one or shot one, so I can not help on that front. Here are some other data points that might help.

The action is closer to a Browning AB3 or of the Browning designs than the Model 70 design. The XRP has a 3 lug design compared to 2. The bolt handle has about a 60° lift, compared to about the 90° for the M70. The stock has some of the designs similar to the Ruger Americian.

Some of the reviews that I have read sound like its a good gun. It does fit in with the Ruger American, Remingtion 783, and the lower priced guns of that are being produced today. It does appear to be on the higher priced side of these rifles, so hope the quality is their when comparing it to the others.

I am waiting to see how they do and if they will expand the list of rifles like Ruger did.

Hope some of this helps, as I am interested in what some others say. I would like to see a 243 Win or a 223 Rem with a reduced stock for younger people to start out on.

One thing I noticed in the specs that I hope is a misprint is where it says "trigger material-polymer". A plastic trigger? If that's correct then I'd stop right there, that's just asking for trouble.

Ed

Well, the XRP is not a Model 70, as it is a new design for Winchester. It does use the MOA trigger and the same barrels from the new FN Model 70. The trigger can be improved with a new spring from Ernie the Gunsmith. That is what I did with my M70 to get it just under 3 lbs. I could go less, just stopped there.

Now, I have not held one or shot one, so I can not help on that front. Here are some other data points that might help.

The action is closer to a Browning AB3 or of the Browning designs than the Model 70 design. The XRP has a 3 lug design compared to 2. The bolt handle has about a 60° lift, compared to about the 90° for the M70. The stock has some of the designs similar to the Ruger Americian.

Some of the reviews that I have read sound like its a good gun. It does fit in with the Ruger American, Remingtion 783, and the lower priced guns of that are being produced today. It does appear to be on the higher priced side of these rifles, so hope the quality is their when comparing it to the others.

I am waiting to see how they do and if they will expand the list of rifles like Ruger did.

Hope some of this helps, as I am interested in what some others say. I would like to see a 243 Win or a 223 Rem with a reduced stock for younger people to start out on.

Yep, I'll pass it on ... thanks!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.