Advice: A-Max in .300 Win Mag

LRHWAL

I've been invited on a hunt on really short notice that'll likely require long range shots only (well my definition of long range anyway - 350yrds plus).

I'd be hunting springbuck and thought I could go for a less costly and more accurate bullet than I currently use.

With springbuck - which are small antelope - lighter bullet contruction should be just fine and accuracy will be more important.

Rifle is a .300 Win Mag (26" tube, 1 in 10"). It's a long story, but that's the only rifle I can take at the moment.

The question is: 168gr, or 178gr A-Max's (or even SST's)? Other suggestions?

How do the A-Max's do best, jammed in the lands, bit off, etc.? I've seen plenty about the A-Max in 7mm, but not much in .30.

I would play around myself, but time is going to be a problem.

Thanks very much for any input.

WL

I haven´t used the amax in a 30 cal, just in a 7 rm. Out of those two I´d go with the heavier Amax, it is a light construction bullet and with the 168 I´d say you run a bigger risk of an externally exploding bullet not penetrating enough.

The 162 7 cal. has performed well in mt goats from close range out to 500 m.

Just try not to hit heavier bones at close range.

For me they´ve worked well a bit off the lands, but I guess it depends on every rifle. Good luck and enjoy the hunt.

Ive had good results either touching or jumping .005". id try touching first. But then again... id be thinking about the175SMK... or the 190... or the 200... well you get the idea. At the ranges youre looking at, the 175SMK would smoke.

If you plan on eating that animal, use the SST. 165 or 180gr will do just fine.

If you want splat, 155gr Amax will do just that.

Jerry

The 178 a max will work perfect for what you want to do. I have shot out three barrels on 300wm and 178 a max. There are bullets out there that ride the wind better but the a max is affordable and more often than not very accurate. I have pushed them into the lands and seated at magazine length in factory chambers. If you have room in your magazine try ten thousands off the lands for a starting point. One of my favorite loads that seems to work in most rifles is 70 grains of IMR4350 with CCI mag primers. With a 26" barrel that should get you to 3100 fps. IMR4831 and RE22 are also good choice.

I have a very similar history as far as loads go as you with the 178 gr AMAX. I settled in on RL 22 personally. Great combo, but I have only punched holes in paper with it.

I used to use the 168 a-max in my 300 win mag. Shot a white tail broad side at 400 yards through the shoulder joint, through one lung, back of heart and stopped in the offside lung. I found them very accurate and out 500 yrds nothing else could match them. Now I have moved on to shooting even further so heavier it is.

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions. I also took a look at the other post on the A-Max.

I'll let you know how I go, but there's going to be way less testing than I'm really comfortable with.

Wim

LRHWAL
The 178's will work great. You can kill a springbuck with a rock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. sounds like a cull hunt? I culled a small one with a 300 Win and a 165NBT It was ugly. If you plan on mounting one romember to hold back a little further, or the Taxidermist might not be able to put it back together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Anybody shooting the 178 AMAX or the 178 ELD-X with H1000?

How about same with Retumbo?

I have only about 1-1/2 lbs of H1000, but I have 5 lbs of Retumbo. I know, the Retumbo is better for heavy bullets in Ultra Mags, but I have it and can't get rid of it.

Thanks for the help.

I had a Browning .300 Win. Mag. (Model 1000 Eclipse) that spit out .25" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. I used (hornady brass) , (71.0 grns Reloader 19), (c.o.a.l 3.340") This load is well within sammi pressures and surely easier on a barrel.... I enjoyed lightning fast kills on white tails ( 80 - 160 lbs.) out to 400 yds. without excessive meat destruction.... I'd use 178gr. Amax for heavier game...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.