W TX Aoudad

JMack

Been conversing via email with Mike M. from West TX hunt.org, seems like the go to guy for aoudad. Has two different types of hunts available in the time frame I'm looking at, one at Devils River the other is on the Hueco Ranch, more of a high desert mountainous hunt.

Anyone hunt either of these two ranches? This will be mine (and my buddy's) first time "sheep" hunting so I guess I'm looking for some advice as to which type of hunt to get our feet wet.

OR

Does anyone have any other outfitters they would recommend?

Last question:

What cartridge would you take 7mmSTW (basic factory REM 700 8.5lb gun scoped) or Tikka T3x Superlite .300 WM (7lbs all in). I'd be shootin accubonds out of either.

Thanks!
Jason

Go guided...

Some of the companies I'd check out:

Southwest trophy hunts--bubba glosson--excellent rep,good sheep areas and bubba is a sheep Fanatic.

Desert safaris-- Hunter Ross--he leases a buch of country near our place. Good sheep in some areas, I have not heard anything but good things about hunter

Lajitas resort--contact Cody Roberts--good sheep in his area...might want to bring your golf clubs too that resort is super nice--wack a sheep have a 4 star meal, and play some pasture pool...

I see you are in contact with Mike..I have seen a lot of successful hunts with his company--so I assume he is putting people on sheep.

My family and I have killed a lot of Aoudad,ewes, young rams, and mature rams. Mature rams are a good bit larger, but don't require a ton of killing. I have always found a good flat shooting caliber .257 on up is fine. I have probably taken more sheep with a 6.5-284 than anything, but 257 weatherby, and 25-06 have done there work too. I had a 7mm rem mag that I was fairly fond of. My cousin shot a very big ram with a 300 WSM and 185 berger...it poleax"ed" him. My other cousin Brandon shot a very big ram with a 338 win mag and 225 TSX..took two really well placed shots and continued on for 150 to 200 yards before piling up. On the other end of the spectrum my FIL shot a nice ram a few weeks ago with his favorite 243 WSSM and a 85 grain TTSX...he hopped twice and fell over...put it in the right spot and you will be fine...

Enjoy my favorite hunt.

Last edited:
Its always shot placement, take that to be further forward and lower than normal basically...

That being said I watched a 31 incher take FIVE 338 rounds, 250s, in the vitals, IE mostly lung and top of heart on one.... that could be covered by about a pound coffee can, and it never moved until the 5th shot... where it took off on a death run around 125 yrads or so....

They seem to have stamina or adrenalin.. much like Nilgai that, representative to their size, seem much tougher than they should be...

Bottom line a good bullet and proper placement, I wouldn't be scared of the 25-06, especially the 100 tsx mentioned,
Good luck on your hunt.

I'm not sure I would want to hit a big ram at 400 or more yards with a 25 caliber.

That country is big. I hunted the Devils River area in early January. While I did shoot mine at only 323yds with a 300wm.

If you think you you will be airing it out, either of your choices will be perfect!

I'm not sure I would want to hit a big ram at 400 or more yards with a 25 caliber.

That country is big. I hunted the Devils River area in early January. While I did shoot mine at only 323yds with a 300wm.

If you think you you will be airing it out, either of your choices will be perfect!
I tend to agree. My FIL sheep was at 90 yards in the bottom of a canyon...he had to go up hill so.... plenty of time to get another shot...with limited time and unknown country...I'd probably stick with your 7 STW stroked with 170-180s...it will do it!

Be heading out to hunt Aoudad on one of mikes places in a month. I'll be packing 7mm Remington shooting 180 grain bergers

I've bot a buddy who does some guiding on couple ranches down in the Chinati Mountains south of Marfa. Hunted down there back in April of 2017 and killed a really nice ram. I saw between 300 and 700 sheep per day while I as down there. If interested PM me and I can give you his contact information.

Thanks to all, kinda really looking forward to this. I appreciate the feedback and advice.

Jason

JMack, I hunted the Devils River with Mike in January. He and his guides do a fantastic job. The Devils River area we hunted was some beautiful country with good aoudad numbers.

Took mine the last day with a 300 WM and 200 gr. Accubonds at 316 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts