Vortex VMR-1 MOA vs VMR-1 MRAD

meatyrem

Looking for an explaination between the two. Which one will benefit and in which way. Is one more suited for longer range than the other. I am looking at a new scope and I am not sure if I should go with the MOA over the MRAD. I know the MRAD has smaller measurements between the hashes but what are the advantages of the two different reticles? Be going on a 300RUM and maybe shooting up to 1k with 180 to 210.

The reticles are essentially the same, and the subtensions are also very similar between the two. 2 moa hash marks vs .5 mrad (about 1.75 moa). I think there are 2 main things to consider when choosing between them: First is getting to know one system or the other. It's like speaking a language, and the more familiar you are with one the better off you are. Most people will agree that it's best to pick one or the other and stick with it. Second is the amount of elevation or windage you get with 1 click of the turret. Most MOA scopes use 1/4 moa clicks while most MRAD scopes use .1 mrad per click. That boils down to roughly 1/4 inch per click @100 vs 1/3 inch per click. Or at 1000 yards its 2.6" per click vs. 3.6". You may prefer the finer adjustment of an MOA scope and the relatively intuitive approximation of 1 moa = 1" at 100 yards. MRAD is a more coarse adjustment but that also means it takes fewer clicks to get where you need to be. And it can be learned easy enough too, since 1 click = exactly 1 cm at 100 meters. You can't go wrong with either one, just figure out which one appeals to you personally and stick with it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts