Vortex viper zeroing help.

Tom700

Let me first start off by saying, I have been shooting for a while but never precision long range shooting. I have only shot out to about 500 yards before. To make a long story short, I recently decided to get into long range shooting, I purchased a Ruger precision rifle in .308, I have a vortex viper pst 6x25-50mm EBR-1 MOA reticle. Scope is in a warne x-SKEL gen 2 mount. After taking it to the range today to zero it I found out it can't be zeroed at 100 yards, the elevation turret does not go that far down. My questions are is this normal? By that I mean should the scope not be zeroed at 100 yards? Should I zero it further? Also will the mount I have on it work? Or should I get a different one that is higher? I plan on trying to shoot it from 1000 to 1200 yards. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Was it a used scope when you bought it? If it was it might have some zero stop shims installed from the previous owner that are keeping you from being able to zero at 100.

I'd go with NWmissouriman's comments and check the scope stop function. The Warne website doesn't even mention slope for that mount so it seems likely something is wrong if you can't get zeroed at 100 yds with a .308.

Have you tried turning the turret from where it bottoms out clear to the top and checking that range of adjustment motion against the scope published spec for range of adjustment?

Have you tried turning the turret from where it bottoms out clear to the top and checking that range of adjustment motion against the scope published spec for range of adjustment?

they are tightened to 25 inch pounds per warne, and vortex said no more than 35 inch pounds.

Is the 25 inch pounds attaching the scope rings to the rail or is that when your closing up the rings around the scope?

Is the 25 inch pounds attaching the scope rings to the rail or is that when your closing up the rings around the scope?

25 inch pounds, was closing the rings around the scope. I did not have a torque wrench to attach the mount to the rail. my guess would be that that the 2 nuts are not evenly tight but are pretty close

what the literature I read on the scope says it has 65moa of vertical adjustment. Even if it were a 20 moa canted mount you should have plenty of adjustment left to zero at a 100 yards.

I would do like the poster above suggest. see if you have a full 65 moa of vertical adjustment. Bottom it out and you should get 5 full turns till it stops

my bet is the adjustment of this is off. Read the instruction booklet on how to adjust your zero stop.

CRS Zero StopCustomizable Rotational Stop (CRS) aids in return to zero after dialing temporary elevation correction.

what the literature I read on the scope says it has 65moa of vertical adjustment. Even if it were a 20 moa canted mount you should have plenty of adjustment left to zero at a 100 yards.

I would do like the poster above suggest. see if you have a full 65 moa of vertical adjustment. Bottom it out and you should get 5 full turns till it stops

my bet is the adjustment of this is off. Read the instruction booklet on how to adjust your zero stop.

CRS Zero StopCustomizable Rotational Stop (CRS) aids in return to zero after dialing temporary elevation correction.

I will have to try this, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts