Vortex Viper HS vs Leupold VX-3i

Blackpowder72

Would just like some of your guys opinions and experience with these scopes. Leupold would be 4.5-14x40 Vortex would be 4-16x44 both 30mm tube . Thanks !

I would git the viper hs, I have it and I like it better than the vx3i. the viper hs has a better eye box, and the eye relief does not move as much as the leupold when you change the magnification. In the store looking into dark corners I could not tell a diferntes in the low light clerity between the two. At low power the vx3i had bad tunneling.

I have both too and I would get the VX 3i. The VX 3i Glass is much better and it's lighter, Dials true, low profile turrets.

I will sell you my viper hs lr 4x16 so I can get another luepold. Pm if you are interested

I had a Vortex PST/FFP for a very short time. Could'nt sell it fast enough once I took it out calling coyotes. The more I try other $@#t the more I love my Leupolds. I have a Burriss XTR II on a long range 300 Win Mag that I don't really like but it seems to function well. I am going to sell it & get the VX6HD & I also just bought a Browning X-Bolt in 300 Win Mag. I am getting the VX5HD for it.
Just my opinion,
Thanks, Kirk

Would just like some of your guys opinions and experience with these scopes. Leupold would be 4.5-14x40 Vortex would be 4-16x44 both 30mm tube . Thanks !
I have both and I have had lots of people comment on how much clearer and sharper (all of the way to the edges) the Leupold VX-3i is. I have a couple of new Varmint rifles and the VX-3i scopes will be going on them. (The Vortex and Leupold that I have now are mounted on 2 different 7mm RMs.)

Vortex was my first expensive scope I ever bought. Was the viper 4-16x50 hs long range. Liked it until I spent some money on a Leupold vx3i. Sold the vortex quick and now have 3 vx3i. The Leupold vx5hd hd 3-15x44 is now my favorite scope. Leupold, made in America

I have a 4-16x50 Vortex HS-LR FFP (yes, I know its not exactly the same) and a 4.5-14x40 VX3i 30mm CDS (windplex).

I like both, and both fill a specific role that matches the rifle they are mounted on. The HS LR is a bit different than the HS series in terms of features (LR has expsosed turrets and FFP reticle) but the glass is the same. Back to the VX3i vs HS though, both have fit and finish that well exceeds their price range, both have glass that is plenty clear to identify targets and take shots out to (and probably beyond) 1000yds on game sized targets. There is one area though that I feel my VX3i is noticeably better than the Vortex and that is perceived optical clarity and brightness of the image. Again I have never had issues resolving targets with either out to the limits of my own abilities, but the VX3i has a noticeably brighter/more crisp image at all comparable magnifications despite being a 40mm objective vs the 50mm on my Vortex.

I also personally like the CDS on the Leupold vs the BDC reticle on the Vortex HS series (although the Dead Hold reticle is one of the better ones out on the market just because of how clean/uncluttered it is). I've used the CDS paired with the windplex reticle to take game as far as 375yds, mounted on my lightweight hunting rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I think in the price range the Leupold is a touch better, but keep in mind that it is also ~$150 more than the Vortex you referenced above.

So I think since you mentioned the base HS (not the LR model) I would go with the Leupold. It has better glass (to my eye), and in my personal opinion a more useful reticle if you opt for the windplex when combined with the CDS (The Vortex Dead Hold BDC is by far one of the better/less cluttered BDC reticles out there but personally I cant stand generic BDC reticles especially on an SFP scope, they just arent very useful unless your conditions/load match what it was calibrated for).

I have both, and my eyes MUCH prefer the VX-3i much more than the Viper. Best bet is to look through both and decide.

VX-3i hands down. I do not actually own a Vortex, only Nightforce and Leupolds, however my hunting buddy is die hard vortex now and I cringe every time I look through one of his scope. The Leupold is MUCH clearer IMO.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts