Vortex Strike Eagle

Critter Picker

I have an opportunity to buy a 5-25 Strike Eagle. Brand new in box for a really good price.

Does anyone have experience with one of these. Are they a good optic?

They're good scopes for the price. Don't expect it to be comparable to a Razor, but it's as good or better than other scopes in its price range. I run one for PRS Rimfire and have no plans to upgrade even though I could afford to. It's a feature rich scope that gives up a bit of optical quality (especially at max magnification) to hit its price point.

Country of origin doesn't mean much. There's good scopes coming out of China and junk coming from the US.

They're good scopes for the price. Don't expect it to be comparable to a Razor, but it's as good or better than other scopes in its price range. I run one for PRS Rimfire and have no plans to upgrade even though I could afford to. It's a feature rich scope that gives up a bit of optical quality (especially at max magnification) to hit its price point.

Country of origin doesn't mean much. There's good scopes coming out of China and junk coming from the US.
Lots of junk coming outta of China. And a lot of it has the vortex name on it. Strike eagle glass is horrible. Guy could buy a Sightron S-tac 4-20x50 for less money and have better glass and a scope that'll track better too. All of that and it's not made in China.

I have and use multiple scopes on my centerfire rifles that are 5-7 times the cost of the Strike Eagle. That being said, I also have the Strike Eagle on a rimfire PRS gun and it has been fine as others have stated. Much better than I expected considering the price. I understand people not wanting to buy from the Chinese but the sad fact is that a good majority of things we use every day are either made in China or use parts from China that are required for them to be operable.

Lots of junk coming outta of China. And a lot of it has the vortex name on it. Strike eagle glass is horrible. Guy could buy a Sightron S-tac 4-20x50 for less money and have better glass and a scope that'll track better too. All of that and it's not made in China.
Lots of companies make their cheap scopes in China, and cheap scopes are generally lower quality. It's not the brand or the country of origin that matters, it's the scope. Yes, Vortex has some bad scopes that are made in China. So do many other companies. There's also some solid scopes coming out of China, like the Strike Eagle. Leupold's low end scopes are just as bad, and they're made in the US.

The S Tac's feature set is pretty weak compared to a Strike Eagle. Depending on the use case those features might be more important than slightly better optical quality. You can't compare one or two aspects of scope, ignore everything else, and declare a winner.

MHO is, if you want a decent cheap scope, buy a Burris, if you want a Vortex, most people like the high end. The have remarkable warranty, but their glass and my eyes do not pair well.
My standing advice when it comes to optics, look through them in low light at discances you expect to use them. That is one of the tests that matters.,

MHO is, if you want a decent cheap scope, buy a Burris, if you want a Vortex, most people like the high end. The have remarkable warranty, but their glass and my eyes do not pair well.
My standing advice when it comes to optics, look through them in low light at discances you expect to use them. That is one of the tests that matters.,
That is difficult, unless you know someone who owns one.

OP, what is your plan for the scope? 22 competition? Long range hunting? PRS? Plinking?

These "optics" threads often devolve to:
1) Buy X brand at $X thousand - it is better
2) Do not buy Chinese
3) Do not buy Brand X Chinese, Brand Y Chinese is better

If you can get it at a great buy, try it - you may like it. If you buy at great price and do not like it, post it for someone else to try.

I just saw and "attempted" to use one yesterday……not impressed! It was a 1-8 Gen 2 AR-BDC3

Maybe it's just me, but the reticle is near useless…..the dots/numbers are far too small for me to use! Tried it at 8x at 300 yards…. using the system was total guess work! The groups, more appropriately patterns ……were abysmal because of my inability to determine which lines/marks/dots I was to use! 🤬 memtb

I have and use multiple scopes on my centerfire rifles that are 5-7 times the cost of the Strike Eagle. That being said, I also have the Strike Eagle on a rimfire PRS gun and it has been fine as others have stated. Much better than I expected considering the price. I understand people not wanting to buy from the Chinese but the sad fact is that a good majority of things we use every day are either made in China or use parts from China that are required for them to be operable.
There are small household items that we purchase that are Chinese with no other options to buy at Dollar Gen, Walmart or any store that sells daily use items. If there is no choice, then no choice. But with items 100 bucks or more, no Chicom for me. They are the main enemy, but we all have a free choice, for now at least.

I have a Strike Eagle, I like it, but what I did notice was the edge clarity is not great on highest magnification. I have not held one or looked through one, but you may take a look at Arken Optics, there high end is made in Japan and is less than the Strike Eagle. I have handled and sighted in an Athlon Aries BTR Gen I and it was very clear and held zero and tracked well.