Vortex Razor G2 popularity.

DJ Fergus

I noticed there's not as much buzz as there used to be about the G2 razor. It was all the rage for a long time. I'm not interested in buying one but just curious as to why there's not as much mention of them as it used to be on here. I'm assuming the trend is going towards lighter weight options.

You are likely right however I love em, I have several, tried a AMG for the weight and it is good, but the heft of the G2 just felt so right to me...

It could also be that the folks that have get tired of the Nightforce or Khales fan boys jumping in and talking about a guy they know, who new a guy, who read on a forum that the turret loosened up one time or some such catastrophe.

You are likely right however I love em, I have several, tried a AMG for the weight and it is good, but the heft of the G2 just felt so right to me...

It could also be that the folks that have get tired of the Nightforce or Khales fan boys jumping in and talking about a guy they know, who new a guy, who read on a forum that the turret loosened up one time or some such catastrophe.
LOL. Seems like there's lots of supporters of all sorts on these hunting & long range forums. I've owned Leupold, Nikon, Vortex, burris, Zeiss, sightron, Athlon and several of other brands. I have a hard time sticking with one brand. It just seems more fun to try different scopes. But it does seem like there's waves of popularity that come and go among different scope brands. The Razor G2 was king of popularity for several years. Lots of folks are gravitating to Nightforce NXS scopes right now. I know the NXS has been popular for a long time but it seems to be peaking again.

Last edited:
I am leaning towards a Razor AMG and Razor LHT right now. After my PST gen 1 I figured I was done with Vortex but I think that the AMG is the best I can get for the $. I have a friend who is a Vortex dealer so pricing is pretty good.
I think the buzz on all Vortex got hurt after the Gen 1 scopes weren't so great, just my opinion. I hope snagging an AMG doesn't bite me like the PST did. Got my finger crossed lol.

I ran a G2 razor for a couple years and several thousand rounds - sold it off when I quit PRS. They have their purpose! For hunting I just don't see it as being beneficial/practical, however in tactical/PRS style it was a very robust and reliable scope for me. Ultimately sold it off due to weight.

The G2R is still a very popular scope. I think you don't hear much about it because the market is flooded with great choices and folks are constantly looking for the 'latest & greatest'. If weight isn't a concern, it's still a great choice.

I almost bought one three weeks ago from Kenton Industries custom turrets. They have a killer price for unused 27x Gen IIs for only $1550! (Link) Plus you get a free set of ballistics strips. It's an older reticle, but wow.... it was hard to pass it up at that price. So heads up for those of you wanting one.

Ultimately I went for a Vortex AMG because my rifle is intended to be a hunting/long-range hybrid, and I didn't want that weight (it weighs 60% more!). I'm not gonna lie; I also loved that the AMG is 100% made in the US...even the springs and minor parts are all sourced as US made.

They are still great. Just not the new fad of marketing. Just like I'm not interested in a 6.5 what ever....well maybe the 6.5 Weatherby but my 257 will get jealous. Anybody who is in a rush to part with theirs for a great deal. Pm me.

I run one on my "tactical" PRS style rifles where weight is no object. There is really nothing else that compares feature wise for your money in the market right now, and it has been that way for a couple years. I also really like the EBR7C reticle for precision work, and I feel like the previous version EBR's were some of the earlier long range reticles to popularize a floating center dot. Now we see similar set ups from other companies in the Mil XT for example. I think the popularity of the Vortex have pushed companies like Nightforce to rethink their designs and push new lines like the ATACR and NX8. As a result, I think buyers looking for less "made in Japan" options are gravitating to the newer products which are American or European as they become more affordable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.