Vortex Kaibab HD 15x56 vs. Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56

dk260

I'm in the market for a set of "big eyes" which will be used to glass open country for big game as well as used in LE surveillance work. They will be used on a tripod, not handheld, so the magnification isn't a question. I have it narrowed down to these two choices and I can get both for the same price. I have no experience with either model so I'm asking for all of your opinions. I am tempted to buy both and do a side by side comparison, then sell the lesser of the two, taking a small hit. I want to "buy once, cry once" and have heirloom quality glass. I have looked at the Swaro's and REALLY like them, but at over $1,000 more than the other two, I just can't justify it. I will also be replacing my current 10x42 binos with a pair of Swaro's.

I have the vortex and am quite happy with them. I have a guide freind with swaros and he thinks the vortex are clearer. I just use them to find bulls, not examine antlers as I don't care, if it has a horn I will kill it.

Browning and bigcat, thanks for sharing your experience wit the Kababs. I read the review Ilya did, several times actually... Timber, what makes you come to that conclusion, which 15x56's do you have personal experience with?

I actually looked through the Zeiss today and I liked the ergonomics. They'll come even closer together than the Kaibab which will be important for people with narrow set eyes. I'd need to put them on a tripod outside to compare the fairly but it's tough to argue the higher cost compared to the Kaibabs if they're not noticeably better.

Dk60

Find a retailer that stocks both and take them outside and do some looking around.

Its actually not a fair comparison as the Zeiss is in another price bracket.

The Zeiss is brighter/sharper and much more comfortable to use. The eye cups are terrible on the Kiabab. On top of that if you decide to sell some day the Zeiss will actually hold most of its value.

I currently own the Minox 15x58 ED and have compared it to the Kiabab several times in the field. Also the 15x56 SLC.

THe Kiabab HD and my Minox are equal in performance. My friends conquest HD is a step up.

I am saving up for the Zeiss HD and so should you IMO

I actually really disliked the eye cups on the Conquest but honestly I never use them anyway. However I use all my binos with the eye cups fully down now and like it much better that way.

I've got some 2013 15X56 Conquest's and a pair of 04' 15X56 Swaro SLC's. Had them out a week ago looking at some elk at last light about 1000 yards out. Conquests blew the SLC's away. Enough difference that I'll be sending the SLC's to Swaro for inspection.
Conquests are a great value. I prefer the ergonomics of the SLC's but the Conquests have more eye relief and can squeeze down to a narrower interpupillary distance. Zeiss has a great warranty also.

Thanks for the replies, folks! I have the Vortex Kaibabs in hand and the Zeiss Conquest in transit. I will do a side by side comparison and let you all know my findings. It sucks that the Zeiss glass wont be here before tomorrow morning, as I'm leaving for a 4 day archery hunt in western Siskiyou County! I will give the Vortex a bunch of real world glassing time this weekend and wish I could do the same with the Zeiss.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts