Vortex HST or.....?

catorres1

So I have a Tikka CTR and it currently has an HD5 3-15 with Lock plex on it that I will be taking off to use on a different rifle, so I need a new scope for the CTR.

The Tikka is basically for me to shoot at the range and take classes and practice with, basically a trainer, but one I will shoot at 1k or maybe a bit more with at the range. Lowlight is not critical for it's uses, but I guess it would be nice in case I decide later on to use the rifle/scope for hunting or whatever.

The HD5 is great, but it's zero stop system is not so good for this, as you only get one turn, so have to remove it, and have no zero stop. That's okay for the other rifle, as it's a hunter and I can get farther on one turn then I will shoot at. But for this reason, I dont' think I'll get the 5-25 for the CTR as I planned, but will go a different route. Also, since I am buying for range use, I want more magnification. I may not use, it, but I like to have it if I am going to have to buy anyway.

I don't holdover, I prefer to dial, at least for elevation.

I am down to needing to make a final decision, I have been thinking the Vortex HST in 6-24 MOA. But I am not sure if it's clarity at higher mags and am wondering if there is something other than it and the HD5 I should be trying to look at before I buy the Viper.

Oh, price....needs to be in the 800ish range. I can't afford a Nightforce or whatever, it's just not possible and not sure I need that for this particular project.

Thanks!

I've been a long time lurker I suppose, and this pushed me for my first post. I actually just ordered a Tikka CTR in .260, and doing lots of searching and reading on scopes, so in a very similar boat. The HST 6x24x50 is on my short list, and also considering a Sightron 111 in 6x24x50, but not sure if turrets will do what you want. The Sightron seem to get good points on glass. I will also hunt with mine. I see some used/demo Ziess Conquests I was considering, but I am not as much hung up on zero stop topic. Anyhow I and just chiming in to say hi and see what others would suggest propose as well.

Thanks for posting, hopefully someone will come along and help both of us! Honestly, my experience with my HD5 has been very good. For a hunting scope, I have been told by many, including Barsness, that the locking turrets are a very good thing, as an inadvertant change is possible. Several of the guys I talked to had this happen. So I really like that the HD5 can be had with the pull up locking ASV style turrets. That being said, Leupold just came out with locking turrets on their 3-18 vx6. Were I buying again, I might go that route, but it's way more than I paid for my HD5.

As I plan to shoot at 750 to 1k quite often with this particular rifle, the zero stop on the HD5 is problematic because we will need more than one turn to get there, so that's an issue. As I said, I did not buy this scope for the CTR, I am just using it temporarily, but bought it for a hunter rifle, so it's great for that, but when I did a recent class where we were shooting long, I found myself really wanting a zero stop that allowed more than one turn.

I don't think the Sightron has a zero stop, but I might be wrong on that. I hear the glass is nicer than the HST though. But hoping someone chimes in with some better options...NF is just too expensive for me, but that would be the obvious choice over the HST or PST.

I'm about to order an HST 6-24. I picked one up in a store and was impressed with clarity at 24x. It's better than my Nikon monarch at max power(which I'm happy with). I was not able able to compare to a Ziess or NF though I'm sure they are a little more crisp but way more expensive. Also buying vortex because of their warranty.

I'm one who has had hit or miss luck with Vortex vipers. I like the lower power scopes but above 16 power and 500 yards, I'm not impressed. I have owned the HST and love the features, not the glass. I ended up going with the HD5 5x25x50. Way better glass than the HST. I don't use the zero stop.
The SIII would be my next go to above the HST if you don't mind a 0.25 MOA dot.

I did not know the SIII had a dot, don't think that would work for me. For me, it is a pity that the HD5 has the stop system it has, otherwise that 5-25 would be on my CTR right now.

What you say about the HST, I have heard others say as well. I did compare it to the HD5 one day, both on max mag, but there was so much mirage, you really could not tell much on either scope.

I'm about to order an HST 6-24. I picked one up in a store and was impressed with clarity at 24x. It's better than my Nikon monarch at max power(which I'm happy with). I was not able able to compare to a Ziess or NF though I'm sure they are a little more crisp but way more expensive. Also buying vortex because of their warranty.

Once you get it in, would love to hear your impressions!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts