Vortex Viper HST 4-16X44 Question.

RedBeard22

Does anyone have this optic? What are your thoughts?
I'm considering selling my NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 MOAR for something lighter as well as a couple other things and the HST caught my eye.

I have had one for several years. It's not a NF but it tracks well etc. I put it on a light 280 AI to save some weight and coin.

So far so good, it's on a hunting rifle I use for going backcountry in Colorado and it's stays zeroed. I do wish windage was capped but never had it move.

I've read that some optics lose zero from vibrations when driving. Have you ever experienced that?

Put a 4-16 HST on the 6.5 Sweede Tikka lite 4-5 years ago, got another one on a 243. Use a torque wrench on the rings, they track well and hold zero.
The field of view is a little lacking but they have served me well.
A few of the tags filled with it.

44881096_259766844621920_7392597305871826944_n.jpg
phone10-2-2016 021.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0412.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0368.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0438.jpg

Does anyone have this optic? What are your thoughts?
I'm considering selling my NF SHV 4-14x50 F1 MOAR for something lighter as well as a couple other things and the HST caught my eye.
I don't like the zero stop system. The shims seem like an afterthough.

I had one for many years on my 270 and had zero issues. I really liked the magnification range of it.
great scope in that price range. I have an LHT now, but only because I found a great deal on it. My hunting buddy has the HST on his 65CM now and loves it

For what it is it's a decent optic. It's not on par with your SHV. The zero stop system is effective but not up to current standards for most users I imagine, the reason they use this system as it keeps the costs down. The HST and HSLR with exposed turrets are basically the same optic, (just a fyi). I have 2, one on a 7 mag and the other on a 6.5-284 Norma.

I have two HS-Ts. I've been pleased with both. The real value I think is finding them on the used market. As others have said, the zero stop leaves a little to be desired in that it's not a true zero stop.

One is mounted on a heavy .308 and it's tracked well out to 900 yards and back over several years. It's been carried on backpack hunts several states away and had a bump or two. The reticle came unglued on a hunt (I had a backup rifle) and would rotate as you turned the zoom ring. Vortex sent me a shipping label and fixed it at no cost -- great customer service.

The other is on a 300 win mag and it's tracked well to 500 yards. I haven't shot it farther than 500 yet.

I think these are good value (especially used) for glass quality and tracking. If you're really wanting to go lighter through I'd look at a couple of other options.

I have two HS-Ts. I've been pleased with both. The real value I think is finding them on the used market. As others have said, the zero stop leaves a little to be desired in that it's not a true zero stop.

One is mounted on a heavy .308 and it's tracked well out to 900 yards and back over several years. It's been carried on backpack hunts several states away and had a bump or two. The reticle came unglued on a hunt (I had a backup rifle) and would rotate as you turned the zoom ring. Vortex sent me a shipping label and fixed it at no cost -- great customer service.

The other is on a 300 win mag and it's tracked well to 500 yards. I haven't shot it farther than 500 yet.

I think these are good value (especially used) for glass quality and tracking. If you're really wanting to go lighter through I'd look at a couple of other options.
Did the reticle coming unplugged shake your confidence in their quality at all? I got the NF largely because of its bombproof reputation since I'll be taking it into the backcountry where a backup rifle isn't really an option. I'd be pretty upset if I went to get a shot on a mule deer and realized my reticle was canted.

I have one on my grendel. It's okay but not my favorite. Fov isn't great and it seems like the image is further down inside the scope and you see more of the inside of the scope tube even compared to other vortex scopes. Look at the Burris Signature HD 3-15x44mm. Same weight but has illumination and locking turrets.

Did the reticle coming unplugged shake your confidence in their quality at all? I got the NF largely because of its bombproof reputation since I'll be taking it into the backcountry where a backup rifle isn't really an option. I'd be pretty upset if I went to get a shot on a mule deer and realized my reticle was canted.
It probably would have irritated me more if I was 10 miles from the truck on a rare tag, but fortunately I was close and had another rifle. Ironically, I shot it out to 500 yards (at the range) with the broken reticle and it still tracked well enough to ring the 3MOA gongs, but I wouldn't have been comfortable using it in a hunting situation.

I guess anything can fail at any time, but like you I try to invest in good equipment to minimize failures at critical times. It probably wouldn't keep me from buying another one, but I do think you bring up a good point on taking your best equipment on the most critical hunts.