vortex viper HST low light?

Good afternoon guys, does anyone on here have experience with the vortex viper HST in low light(hunting) conditions. I have no doubt its great glass in normal daylight but i know some of the lower end vortex hunting scopes are horrible in low light. Does this compare lets say to a Leopold at low light or does this not pick up light that well? thanks for any information

I had a Viper HST 4-16x44 and between 4-10 power the scope was perfectly usable in low light conditions. Above 10x the scope has a critical eye box and even in good light I found the scopes light gathering wanting.

I also found that the wire reticle would wash out when shooting at dark/low contrast targets

Idk, to me it seems like everyone's eyes are different. I've had what I thought was pretty decent glass only to be told by a buddy that it wasn't good.
Then when I look through his scope, I find mine is better.
I'd try to narrow it down to say 2-3 choices, then find a dealer who has all three and compare.

Good afternoon guys, does anyone on here have experience with the vortex viper HST in low light(hunting) conditions. I have no doubt its great glass in normal daylight but i know some of the lower end vortex hunting scopes are horrible in low light. Does this compare lets say to a Leopold at low light or does this not pick up light that well? thanks for any information

I have 2 of them and they will easily take you to legal shooting light. Are they as bright as my 3-15x56 VX5HDs? Nope, but few are. Low light is where you start to see the difference between good and great glass. In most hunting situations and at legal hunting light, good glass works just fine. If you want great glass you have to pay for it. Larger objectives will compensate some what.

Last edited:
Go to a dealer and look through all the ones you like outside. Tell them you want to view them outside so you have real world conditions. If they bark about taking them outside then go to the next dealer. If they want to make a sale they will assist you with someone and allow you to view them outside so you can make the best choice.

Go to a dealer and look through all the ones you like outside. Tell them you want to view them outside so you have real world conditions. If they bark about taking them outside then go to the next dealer. If they want to make a sale they will assist you with someone and allow you to view them outside so you can make the best choice.
This is good advice, but really needs to be done after the sun has gone down or it won't do you any good.

I can take mine to legal shooting light. Maybe a touch more. It's about what you would expect from a 400 dollar scope. My gen 2 pst and bushnell elite are much better.

I can take mine to legal shooting light. Maybe a touch more. It's about what you would expect from a 400 dollar scope. My gen 2 pst and bushnell elite are much better.
I have been playing with several of the HS series for the past year and a half. I got them at a great price (under $400) and it was a good buy, but don't know if I'd want to go too much past that. Be careful when hunting (or shooting for that matter) in the general direction of the sun, so far every Vortex I've handle has veiling glare (white out). Even my buddy's gen 2 PST is bad about it.

I have a 4-16x hst on a .223 varmint rifle. Its my mid range gun and i use it for hold over shooting out to 300yds. And it works just fine for that. It wouldnt be my first choice for a big game rifle but in a pinch i would use it.

I had a hslr and hst. Sold them both. Low light wasn't that great. I had the 4-16. In the setting sun facing the sunset it would wash out and be impossible to see any thing. I have a razor lh and it does great. My Leupold vx1 did better in low light than the hst

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.