Vortex Viper HST<>Zeiss V4 quandry

Well, I see that everybody is sticking to the long time favorites. I feel that for the money the Sightron SIII is the way to go. I own 4 of them in various powers on 500-1000 yard competition guns and one hunting rifle. I have a 6x24, 2 - 8x32 and a 10x50. Are the optics as good as my Nightforce Comp, no but that's also a $2500 scope. But they have a nice clean reticle (MOA-2) and they have always tracked without a problem. The new 6x24 is just over your price point but has everything you wanted. I encourage you to look at them https://www.opticsplanet.com/v/siiiss624x50lrmoa-sightron-siii-6-24x50-30mm-tube.html If you can find the previous model, no zero stop, I picked one up for under $600 not even a month ago I should have bought 2.

All your requirements are OK except the "ballistic" reticle.
Ballistic reticles are made for accuracy ONLY IF:
1. you shoot the same bullet weight and BC and velocity as the one used to set the reticle hash marks
2. you shoot only at sea level (where their ballistics were calculated)
3. you shoot at the temperature in which the BDC reticle was calibrated

Doubtful you will shoot at more than one of these benchmarks, therefore after 300 yards your BDC will be off. BDCs lie just when you need them most.

Eric B.

I am not familiar with the Vortex glass. I have 2 Leopold M-4's and a V3i LRP. These are more expensive, but they are reliable, have good glass, good reticle options, and a marvelous warrantee plus excellent customer service. I have sent a number of scopes back for upgrades and they have always been returned better than before. One was a Vari-X II purchased in 1970 which, unbeknownst to me, had developed a moisture leak after about 40 years of great service and some abuse. It also came back with improvements and at no cost to me for repair. Just a thought.

I'v heard bad things about all euro optics on warranty, all but S&B and Meopta.
If it brakes then they have to git the parts from Europe, and it is a big thing they do not want to deal with.

I have sent both zeiss and leica optics in for warranty work and they were both faster than vortex was when i have sent my spotter in. Looks like i am going to be sending it in again. Warranties are great but if the product isnt quality the warranty means almost nothing.

bdc reticles are FANTASTIC. i have the hst on a weirhauch psp air rifle.the hash marks take me to over a hundred yards and NEVER forget to rezero.bdc on .17 hmr gets over 300yds.bdc on .17 hornet gets over 500 yds.i plot off a drop chart approximately what yardage the dot will be then shoot it.write down the exact yardage on a range card.perfect and never turn a dial.on my big guns i have full yardage marked turrets. 100yds with an air rifle;300 yards with a rimfire;500yds with a hornet is still LONG RANGE.cheers

The vortex scopes I've had so far have been very reliable but the glass just isn't quite to the Zeiss standards. I used a Vortex in Utah last year and previously one reason I liked it is that the cross hairs and hash marks were thin and great for target and sighting in but in near dusk and dawn I found the thin reticle very hard to see. But I noticed my zeiss thicker reticle on my HD5 was very easy to see this fall and winter in low light conditions. Just something to consider. I have a friend in Wyoming that has taken 5 Elk that farthest one at over 600 yards with his Rapid Z so called balistic reticle. It's like a lot of things, if you practice shooting with what ever you get at the ranges you plan to hunt at you will likely be fine with either.

Am in the process of transitioning to medium long range shooting and hunting. The scope I presently have on my MLR rig is a non-ballistic type and as such I have been limited to shooting to 400 yards. Now I am ready to upgrade to a ballistic capable scope.

About 1-1/2 years ago stumbled on and purchased a NIB Zeiss HD5 at a great price, but was recently made an offer on it to good to refuse so now I'm in need of a scope. After I bought the HD5 I realized FOR ME that a truly ballistic capable scope is a better all around option for hunting VS a BDC scope.

My absolute MUST HAVE requirements for this scope are:
<>Must be SFP I know the limitations of SFP and it's affect on reticle size in relation to magnification changes, but I simply do not like FFP scopes for hunting.
<>Cost can not exceed $600
<>Must have zero stop wind and elevation adjustments
<>Have a simple uncluttered ballistic reticle, I prefer hash marks over dots
<>Magnification range of 3-15 or similar for maximum versatility for close to far shots while hunting
<>Max front objective of 44mm as I want to be as lite as practical

Now here is my quandary. After selling the Zeiss I have more than enough money to buy the Vortex Viper, but have been reading some excellent reviews of the Zeiss V4 as being among the best SFP simple ballistic scope under $1k, and although the V4 meets my criteria about exact, EXCEPT the Zeiss V4 represents going over my budget by 50%.

What I need is factual information that the Zeiss V4 would be worth the additional cost over the Vortex Viper. So what I need to know is will the Zeiss serve me better as a hunting scope for shots out to 800 yards and is there for worth the extra cost or will the Viper be good enough.

Thanks,
Art.
A Night Force NXS 5.5x22x56 will serve all your needs and is always spot on.

Am in the process of transitioning to medium long range shooting and hunting. The scope I presently have on my MLR rig is a non-ballistic type and as such I have been limited to shooting to 400 yards. Now I am ready to upgrade to a ballistic capable scope.

About 1-1/2 years ago stumbled on and purchased a NIB Zeiss HD5 at a great price, but was recently made an offer on it to good to refuse so now I'm in need of a scope. After I bought the HD5 I realized FOR ME that a truly ballistic capable scope is a better all around option for hunting VS a BDC scope.

My absolute MUST HAVE requirements for this scope are:
<>Must be SFP I know the limitations of SFP and it's affect on reticle size in relation to magnification changes, but I simply do not like FFP scopes for hunting.
<>Cost can not exceed $600
<>Must have zero stop wind and elevation adjustments
<>Have a simple uncluttered ballistic reticle, I prefer hash marks over dots
<>Magnification range of 3-15 or similar for maximum versatility for close to far shots while hunting
<>Max front objective of 44mm as I want to be as lite as practical

Now here is my quandary. After selling the Zeiss I have more than enough money to buy the Vortex Viper, but have been reading some excellent reviews of the Zeiss V4 as being among the best SFP simple ballistic scope under $1k, and although the V4 meets my criteria about exact, EXCEPT the Zeiss V4 represents going over my budget by 50%.

What I need is factual information that the Zeiss V4 would be worth the additional cost over the Vortex Viper. So what I need to know is will the Zeiss serve me better as a hunting scope for shots out to 800 yards and is there for worth the extra cost or will the Viper be good enough.

Thanks,
Art.
I recently decided to try a Tract 4-20 on my duty DMR. (I'm LE). The upper tiers use Schott glass, are made in Japan and are very solid. My tall target test was spot on and tracking has been perfect. I subsequently bought a 2.5-10 Tekoa which also uses Schott glass based on my experience with the Toric. They have a Tekoa 4-16 for under $600. In case you aren't familiar with Tract, a couple of guys from Nikon sport optics division with around 20yrs each didn't like the business model of most optics companies including Nikon and decided to build high quality optics from the best sources and sell them direct. No middle man. A guy I shoot with has a Kahles 624i and was very surprised when he looked through my Tract. For less than half the cost of the Kahles which would be my top choice (excluding Tangent Theta) had I not bought the Tract. Worth looking at in my opinion.

I promise you my vortex viper does not have a illuminated reticle. Some probably do. I know I have tried them, not on the viper but another scope and it sounds great on paper but sometimes the illumination of the reticle near dark can blot out the target too if the light from it is not extreamly subtile.

Barrelnut thank you fro your reply, how would you rate the tracking and click adjustments of the Vortex VS the Zeiss?

I've never owned a Zeiss but I have looked through them. nice glass! I have a Vortex 4-16x44 and don't like it. The eye relief is only 2.25" on 16 power. Originally meant for my 300 RUM but ended up on the 6mm. Contacted Vortex and they did not respond. They'll never see my $$ again.

Hate to burst anyone's bubble but I cannot recommend the Vortex Viper HST for anything with more recoil than a 22. A couple of years back I had one on a 300 RUM...was generally shooting 1/2 to 1 MOA at 400 yds with my pet load. Then one day I fired two shots into an elk out a ways past 400, good clean broadside target, daylight and minimal wind if any. Wondered why it did not go down after the first, but it's an elk! Then cleaning it I discovered that they hit well over 3 feet apart, and neither was within two feet of my aiming point! Needless to say I took it to the range a couple days later, and discovered I could not hit a 24" target consistently at 200 yards. Called Vortex that afternoon - first question they asked was "What caliber of rifle were you using?" I replied "300 RUM." Dead silence for several seconds before their technician said " Ahhh, yeah, send that scope back to us, we'll send you a new one..." Being the jerk that I am I asked "Why? What's the problem, did you KNOW it should not be used on a 300 RUM?" He was somewhat evasive, but finally admitted that "those scopes are not tested against recoil at that level..." Anyway, I was miffed but they made good and sent a new one. Not wanting to go through that again (and maybe lose an elk instead of getting as lucky as I did?) I sold that scope.
Now - fast forward almost a year. A buddy of mine had a similar Viper on his 270 Win. At the range, I spotted for him as he fired a pair with the bullet holes touching at 100 yards. Shot #3 - no impact but dirt flying near the target. Shot #4 - on the target but over a foot from the pair...Shot #5 - again off the target, dirt flying on the opposite side from #3...I think you get the picture. They sent him a new scope, too.
So - pay your money and take your chances, but you won't see a Vortex scope on any rifle I own. No complaints about their binoculars, though to be honest my Steiners cost less and are much better as the light fades. Only my opinion but there are BETTER choices for the same money as a Vortex Viper of any sort...and no doubt Zeiss is certainly an example of that.

I own a couple of Vortex products and have looked through a lot more. I think they are pretty good value, but I recently got a Zeiss V4 and if your budget allows, it is worth the extra money over a Viper. Now, to throw a wrench into this, with your budget, I would consider buying a Meopta. I have one and think the glass is very similar quality to the Zeiss. Cameralandny currently has open box specials for the Meopta Meopro 4.5-14x44 and your choice of a z-plex, bdc, or Mcwhorter reticle for $450. It doesn't check every box for you, but it gets close and has, in my opinion, much better glass than a Viper and keeps you under budget.

The PST scope series is a better quality scope with more features than a regular viper scope. Significantly better in my opinion than the HST and my Nikon Monarch 2 scopes. Way more elevation than the Monarch by nearly a factor of 2x

I promise you my vortex viper does not have a illuminated reticle. Some probably do. I know I have tried them, not on the viper but another scope and it sounds great on paper but sometimes the illumination of the reticle near dark can blot out the target too if the light from it is not extreamly subtile.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.