Voere Shikar in 300 win, help me?!

CoastalHunter

Just acquired from a friend that didn't want it. Did a little research but not finding much. Thing is pretty, in good shape, looks like a mark v, seems to do ok with factory loads. What do I have here?! Markings or "voere shikar, 300 win, vorenbach". Thanks

Here's a pic

Attachments

• 4507F9CC-B052-4D64-9686-43F6C5E4D33F.jpeg
    4507F9CC-B052-4D64-9686-43F6C5E4D33F.jpeg
    797.9 KB · Views: 649
I tried but apparently this is an older version. From the 60-70's. The company is different now but adopted the name or something, they told me they couldn't help me

Guess I'm wondering if anybody has one/had one? Is it worth putting any effort into or just shoot as is? Put a note scope down it and looks like very light use if any

My rifle says "VOERE Vohrenbach Germany SHIKAR," and does not have any markings that I recognize as identifying it with a U.S. importer.

According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, Voere of Germany was "located in Vohrenvach, Germany [and] should not be confused with the current Austrian firm of the same name."

The Voere 'Shikar' has a 3-lug bolt with the safety mounted on the back of the shroud. The safety was pushed straight up or down. The bolt design is referred to as a constant diameter because the lugs are the same diameter as the bolt body. There are no lug ways to be broached into the action body, the bolt way is a simple bored and reamed hole. The bolt is a constant diameter of 0.785" with a step down to the beginning of the lugs (rear) and then the lugs become 0.785" again. In this manner, you avoid cutting lugways through the entire receiver and they only have to be broached in a very short ring at the front of the receiver right behind the barrel threads. The 3-lugs equally spaced with one lug containing a narrow Sako-style extractor cut into the side. The ejector is a Remington-style spring loaded plunger. You have to pull the trigger back in order to remove the bolt. This moves a pin down from the recess that it sits in on the bolt. This pin also serves as the guide for the bolt. The Shikar was chambered in standard cartridges; .243 - 30/06, and in magnum calibers, 7mm rem. mag. etc. It also had shorter barrels, not 26" that I am aware of.

Mine was in fairly rough condition when I found it at a gun show many years ago. Originally, it was a 7mm Rem. Mag. but the barrel needed to be replaced so I made a matching contour chambered for the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super.

The stock on my Shikar, at first looked to be a loss but since I had no hope, I started trying to remove the awful looking finish with some mild chemistry... failure. I resorted to using single edge razor blades to scrape the entire stock by hand, ending by using the chemicals to do the final cleanup. Sanding (filling) in the pores, finish sanding, multiple coats of oil, lots of tedious handwork followed by a lengthy drying period. Now it's a very nice looking stock with loads of character and grain structure. I even managed to retain all of the dated skip line checkering without having to recut much of it, just some touch up.

The following are examples of the Shikar and are not mine.

22663697_1.jpg

1.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

1597786155747.png

Last edited:
My rifle says "VOERE Vohrenbach Germany SHIKAR," and does not have any markings that I recognize as identifying it with a U.S. importer.

According to the Blue Book of Gun Values, Voere of Germany was "located in Vohrenvach, Germany [and] should not be confused with the current Austrian firm of the same name."

The Voere 'Shikar' has a 6 lug bolt with the safety mounted on the back of the shroud. The safety was pushed straight up or down. The bolt design is referred to as a constant diameter because the lugs are the same diameter as the bolt body. There are no lug ways to be broached into the action body, the bolt way is a simple bored and reamed hole. The Shikar was chambered in standard cartridges; .243 - 30/06, and in magnum calibers, 7mm rem. mag. etc. It also had shorter barrels, not 26" that I am aware of.

Mine was in fairly rough condition when I found it at a gun show many years ago. Originally, it was a 7mm Rem. Mag. but the barrel needed to be replaced so I made a matching contour chambered for the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart Super.

The stock on my Shikar, at first looked to be a loss but since I had no hope, I started trying to remove the awful looking finish with some mild chemistry... failure. I resorted to using single edge razor blades to scrape the entire stock by hand, ending by using the chemicals to do the final cleanup. Sanding (filling) in the pores, finish sanding, multiple coats of oil, lots of tedious handwork followed by a lengthy drying period. Now it's a very nice looking stock with loads of character and grain structure. I even managed to retain all of the dated skip line checkering without having to recut much of it, just some touch up.

The following are examples of the Shikar and are not mine.

22663697_1.jpg

1.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

View attachment 209405

Very Weatherby looking. That Shikar in the still pics is beautiful.

They're nice rifles, built decent by a decent firm. Spend time on it? No, I'd run it as built and enjoy it. There are lots of other rifles out there that have more support that can be played with. Not everything has to be tinkered with. BTW, Shikar is the Indian word for hunting/sport hunting. So the SHIKAR name would probably denote the model of the rifle.

I was in teh same boat a little while back. Picked up a 70's Ithaca branded Tikka LSA 65 in 30-06. Could've parted it and built, but put a nice steel body Kahles 6x scope on it in tikka rings and it shoots great. Just find a load it likes and buy a case, then shoot it.

I have a German built voere rifle supposed to be better built than an Austrian version?? Mine was customized by Robert kleingunther of seguin Texas I believe?? Fantastic fit and finish! Bolt is as smooth or better than my defiance no exaggeration! Shoots 1" at 100yrds with factory Nosler 160 AB ( 7 rem mag ) my farther bought it around the time I was born and gave it to me in my late 20's the rifle won't be going anywhere! It's my understanding and I could very well be wrong that weatherby got some of their concepts for their mark v action from it?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.