Vld seater stem for rcbs 223 die

the big greasy

I'm loading 75 grain eldm bullets and getting a ring close to the tip. I've tried polishing it but that doesn't seem to help. I'd like a seater stem that somewhat matches the bullet profile. My neck mention is light and not compressing loads, plus getting some run out. I would like it to seat the bullet closer to the ogive also. I'm hoping not to have to buy a whole new die. Anyone know where to just get the stem that fits the rcbs die?

In the past I've rubbed a bunch of Flitz on a bullet and spun it hard against the stem, using a small drill. Laps it in nicely.

Some guys will coat a bullet in release agent (ie clear shoe polish) and put a dab of expoy into the stem then seat the bullet into it. Takes a nice cast of more of the meplat, and typically seats well afterwards.

Short of getting a Redding or Hornady die with specific seating stems those are the easiest options to me. Hornady seating dies aren't bad in my experience, add a mic adjuster and one of their stems meant for that specific bullet. They aren't micro-adjustable in-line seaters, but they can produce consistently seated loads.

In the past I've rubbed a bunch of Flitz on a bullet and spun it hard against the stem, using a small drill. Laps it in nicely.

Some guys will coat a bullet in release agent (ie clear shoe polish) and put a dab of expoy into the stem then seat the bullet into it. Takes a nice cast of more of the meplat, and typically seats well afterwards.

Short of getting a Redding or Hornady die with specific seating stems those are the easiest options to me.

I just tried the epoxy thing, didn't work out lol. Might have to try the other way.

Fair enough. IMO nothing to lose by trying to lap the stem you have.

I also use LE Wilson inline dies, they have a VLD stem for .224s and usually stock 223 Rem dies. Takes longer to seat bullets and is a separate process on an arbor press, but the precision is excellent. Great feel for if the necks are tight or have donuts.

The easiest fix is to drill the centre of the stem larger allowing the bullet to enter further and then polish to match the profile.
Or buy a VLD seater stem.

Cheers.