Vit N570 and 560 - temp sensitive?

Archery1973

Is anybody notice a huge speed variation with these powders between 30 degrees and 70 degrees? I'm getting a 100 fps difference between those temps.

I have been using 560 in my .243 with an 87 gr Vmax for about 6 years and I have not noticed a huge difference in pressure signs. I've shot from -5* up to 100* in elevations from 380-7000, have mostly always used Federal 210 match primers and when I have shot across a chrono I have always averaged out 5 shots at 3382 fps regardless of if it was 65* or 25*.
These numbers are all fresh in my mind as I was reviewing notes on my 243 load last night in preparation for an upcoming hunt to Wyoming in October.

I use N570. Two cold bore shots chronographed at ~38* & ~65* measured a velocity difference of exactly 0.00fps. I understand two shots is a poor measurement but for a hunting rifle, cold bore variation is fairly important.... at least from what i'm told :D

In the same rifle, I also noticed little to no difference in MV from 80* to a LR shoot hosted close to 100*. YMMV.

t

That's interesting that none of you are having any speed variance.

I'm using N560 in a 6.5 WBY. I range from 3100 to 3150 from March to August.

I'm not sure what to do.

50fps? It shouldn't be very hard to map the difference, provided it still shoots good. You could very easily carry a different drop card.

t

That's interesting that none of you are having any speed variance.

I'm using N560 in a 6.5 WBY. I range from 3100 to 3150 from March to August.

I'm not sure what to do.

Did you weigh out and sort the cases? Same lot # that cases came from?

Lots of factors could come into play, when I said above I averaged 3382 the range was 3412 on one shot that I remember and 3350 on another (possibly a different day, temp, case lot#, case brand case weight.... to be honest it has been quite a while). But 4 different times I have chrono'd that gun the average has come out to 3382 each time, if I had my notes in front of me or I would post them in the shot order.

With that 3382 average I have found to be a consistent group out to 700 yards, if there was a difference in the shots I fired at 700 yards it didn't cause enough difference to blow the group and I was still within minute of coyote kill zone at 700 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.