Venison Sausage Patties

Timeout

Okay, all the recipes in the Red Stag thread has made me hungry! That, and breakfast today at my favorite place. They serve fantastic sausage patties! My goal for venison this year is to make some delicious breakfast sausage patties. So let's hear your recipes!

Here's mine! The meat ratio makes this a pretty lein sausage, with very little grease left in the pan. You might want to bump the pork shoulder poundage up a bit. It's a touch spicy, and the kids all love it so I haven't bothered changing. In fact, last year most of the deer meat went into sausage. Enjoy!
20190919_211623.jpg

Here's mine! The meat ratio makes this a pretty lein sausage, with very little grease left in the pan. You might want to bump the pork shoulder poundage up a bit. It's a touch spicy, and the kids all love it so I haven't bothered changing. In fact, last year most of the deer meat went into sausage. Enjoy!View attachment 150120

I follow a very similar recipe. It's all about the sage and red pepper for me. My kids love it too. I used to stuff it but now I don't see the reason since we pan fry it...so I just make 50# and package it in 2# vacuum seal bags.

I always mix my venison with pork....50-50.Because you have no fat in the venison which gives it a strong taste.
I assume since you are talking patties,you aren't going to smoke it.
This makes 10 lbs of very good breakfast sausage.....5 pork and 5 venison.

5 TBS Salt
1 Tbs. Pepper
1 tsp. Ginger
1 Tbs. Nutmeg
2 Tbs. Powdered sugar
2 Tbs. Sage
1 Tbs. Thyme
1 Pint Ice Water
If you like it spicy....add 1 tbs of red peper.

Or if you don't want to mix the spices yourself....Old Legg's Plantation makes a good breakfast sausage mix.....both mild and hot.

07E7E40F-F40A-4252-9C0F-DA682199B47F.jpeg
I always mix my venison with pork....50-50.Because you have no fat in the venison which gives it a strong taste.
I assume since you are talking patties,you aren't going to smoke it.
This makes 10 lbs of very good breakfast sausage.....5 pork and 5 venison.

5 TBS Salt
1 Tbs. Pepper
1 tsp. Ginger
1 Tbs. Nutmeg
2 Tbs. Powdered sugar
2 Tbs. Sage
1 Tbs. Thyme
1 Pint Ice Water
If you like it spicy....add 1 tbs of red peper.

Or if you don't want to mix the spices yourself....Old Legg's Plantation makes a good breakfast sausage mix.....both mild and hot.

As previously noted, I've used pork roasts or other cuts besides beef or pork trim to add some fat, but I tried using bacon to cut my elk bratwurst with, and it came out really nice.

I use a variation of the recipes above, though I use brown sugar instead of powdered. Just take a cup of water and dissolve the sugar into it before combining with more water and ice cubes until you reach your 3 cups. This will distribute the sugar evenly and bring a richer flavor. The gamier the animal, the more sugar and pepper I use.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.