Venison Sausage Patties

morning, yes the silver film has a bitter taste. I try
very hard to remove the film. mix the 3 part
mixture on a very large table. u can take to butcher shop
for grinding and mixing. then the butcher shop can add seasoning
to ur choice. lots of garlic. I buy my dried from the butcher shop.
1lb. bags of sausage. cryovac and freeze. the longer the
sausage sets the more the seasoning absorbed into the
meat. justme gbot tum

How does everyone mix the pork with the venison and spices? I just finished cutting up a deer and want to try making some sausage.

I try cut most of the meat into about the same size pieces......Then the kids can drop them through the grinder in the correct ratio. (Usually drop 2 piece of deer to one piece of pork.) We grind into a huge stainless bowl and mix the seasonings in by hand, sprinkle a layer of seasoning, and fold the meat over it. Keep doing this until teh seasoning is gone, add the ice water and knead until it is thoroughly mixed. I usually run it back though the grinder and fill meat bags for freezing with the stuffer tube so it's pretty well mixed by the time it's done. One of these days I'd love to pick up a big stainless mixer like Cabelas sells.

I like the flavor if venison so for this recipe I'll provably just add beef tallow and the spices recommended on this thread and go from there. Maybe, just maybe mix with some bacon. What do the experts think of this?

I have played with adding beef fat, and I'll say this......There is something different about pork fat. The flavor was there in the sausage with beef fat, but it was almost like a delayed release as you ate it. My speculation is that when cooking the pork fat "flows" better than beef fat, spreading the flavor through out. I also enjoy the flavor so I usually stick with a 2 to 1 ratio with pork....this makes a fairly dry patty. My wife will sometimes broil in the oven on a pan when cooking for a lot of people and there is little to no grease left on the pan. Just my experience......

I have played with adding beef fat, and I'll say this......There is something different about pork fat. The flavor was there in the sausage with beef fat, but it was almost like a delayed release as you ate it. My speculation is that when cooking the pork fat "flows" better than beef fat, spreading the flavor through out. I also enjoy the flavor so I usually stick with a 2 to 1 ratio with pork....this makes a fairly dry patty. My wife will sometimes broil in the oven on a pan when cooking for a lot of people and there is little to no grease left on the pan. Just my experience......

Thanks, I'll provably stick to the pork then, what about bacon?

Think of bacon vs pork fat. The bacon has some lean in there and is usually smoked. Sometimes I like this but when cut with a pork roast or loin, it comes out very lean, which I like sometimes.

I typically cut mine with pork loin, it's cheap and don't have to worry about the bone in the shoulder to cut around. It adds a little less fat, but I think the pork meat still helps keep it from drying out when cooked. Usually 50/50 grind on the kitchen aid. I divide this into whatever I want to wrap. Burger, breakfast sausage, even did salami one year. All from the same grind/cut. Just added different seasonings for each.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.