Velocity loss from 26" to 24" 300 RUM

sdowney

Guys, I saw a thread not too long ago by someone with empirical data when shortening barrels. I know the standard is 26" for a hunting barrel, but I'd like to have a shorter 'packer' rig for the mountains of Idaho (already adding a 1.5" muzzle brake).

Can anyone guide me to the aforementioned thread and/or give me any experience with shortening to 24" on this caliber?

Thanks.

Scott

I cant say I know firsthand how much velocity you will lose, but just guessing with the slower powders used with the RUM, you will notice some drop, and an increase in noise. Ive never had a problem toting a 26" barrel thru the woods while hunting, but if I was walking thru thick stuff, that wouldnt be the gun I would bring with me anyways. That would go to my bigbore lever. Now this isnt what you asked for, so take with a grain of salt, but if you asked me, I would say, go with a 300wsm, or a 300WM with a 24" barrel, and forget the muzzlebrake. My guess would be, at the velocity you lose with the shorter barrel'd RUM, youll be in the winmag ballpark velocity wise with more recoil, or if you have a brake, alot more noise.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.