USMC vs. Army Mildot?

SaskShooter

So, my ballistic app (iSnipe) offers unique option for drop compensation. If you scroll down your ballistic chart, then tap any given range, it will offer a view of a basic bullseye-type target with an image of a mildot reticle overlayed onto it holding over the correct distance for both elevation and windage. The visual representation makes aiming and firing very quick and simple, although not extraordinarily precise.

Now the part that struck me as odd is that under the "Settings" menu it offers a choice between a choice between USMC and Army Mildot reticles. I never knew there was a difference.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, which one is standard (because you never see scope companies stating whether their scopes are in USMC or Army mils), and what's the history and reason for the difference?

Enlighten me, oh wonderful members of LRH!

In the older dope books, they showed marines using ovals, not sure if they did or the reason

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.