Using R25 in a 264 wm

dgr416

I have used reloader 25 in my 338-378 Weatherby alot and want to try in in my 264 wm.I will be shooting 155 gr Lapua Mega Tip bullets and Nos ler 140 gr and Remington 140 gr.I have been using H870 and have alot of it but I wanted to see if reloader 25 improves the accuracy like it did in my 338-378.I have a stainless Ruger 77 Mark II .I have shot some 3/8" groups with the 155 gr Lapula.This bullet is awesome.It still has a bc of .38 even though its a semi round nose.I have shot pronghorn out to 450 yards with it as a hudge whitetail at 15 yards.I am going to have to get the throat of my rifle lengthened though.It is throated for the 140 gr factory loads .I have been deep seating the 155 gr just before the rifling .I think thats why its so accurate.Lapua makes awesome bullets.I dont see them being used by many people.

I have used reloader 25 in my 338-378 Weatherby alot and want to try in in my 264 wm.I will be shooting 155 gr Lapua Mega Tip bullets and Nos ler 140 gr and Remington 140 gr.I have been using H870 and have alot of it but I wanted to see if reloader 25 improves the accuracy like it did in my 338-378.I have a stainless Ruger 77 Mark II .I have shot some 3/8" groups with the 155 gr Lapula.This bullet is awesome.It still has a bc of .38 even though its a semi round nose.I have shot pronghorn out to 450 yards with it as a hudge whitetail at 15 yards.I am going to have to get the throat of my rifle lengthened though.It is throated for the 140 gr factory loads .I have been deep seating the 155 gr just before the rifling .I think thats why its so accurate.Lapua makes awesome bullets.I dont see them being used by many people.

I have used quite a bit of RL-25 and it has always given me top velocity as well as good accuracy. The downside is, it is very temp sensitive which is a disadvantage for long range shooting; By that I mean when you are talking 600+ yards. if I were you, I would try Retumbo rather than RL-25. It also has given me top velocity in that type of case as well as good accuracy. It is far less temp sensitive as well.....Rich

Last edited:
Never tried RL25 but Retumbo really makes my 264 WM hum. And it hums them in little groups also.

Back in November of 08 I decided to develop a sub-MOA, 3000fps load for a 30 caliber rifle. It took awhile, but I believe I have "got er done."
The Rifle.
In order to get the velocity I wanted with this weight bullet I chose a 300RUM in a Savage model 116. It is stainless with a laminated stock. It came from the factory with pillar bedding, and I added glass behind the recoil lug, and under the front receiver ring and tang. I topped it with a Weaver T15 for this test. This rifle will group ¾ to 7/8 with good jacketed bullet loads.
The Bullet.
The most consistently accurate 30cal bullet I cast is the Lyman 311284 so this is the one I worked with. The alloy is a mix of WW and Linotype. I added lino. until an air cooled bullet tested 16.0 BHN on my Lee tester. The bullet was then sized .3015 with a push through die. This gave me full length bearing surface. The bullet was then patched with 16# green bar printer paper and allowed to dry overnight. I then clipped the tail, lubed with White Label BAC and run through a .310 push through die. This left the bullet .311 and ready to load. The finish weight, with patch, was 202gr.
The Brass.
I used new Remington brass. I full length sized them and sorted by weight allowing no more than +/- 1%. It was then trimmed to length, outside neck turned to .012 thickness, the primer pocket reamed to a uniform depth, flash holes drilled uniform and deburred. I then loaded with a 180gr. Core Lock and H4831 to fireform. The test load was then loaded in UNSIZED brass. I tried H1000, Retumbo, and finally settled on reloader25. The starting load was 88.0 and I worked up to 93.0. This gave me 3069 with no signs of excess pressure. Oh yes, the primer was a Federal 215. The bullets were seated about ¼ inch into the case and finished seating when the bolt was closed. This gave me an OAL of 3.670.
The Test.
Testing was done over 2 days. Shots were fired over a bench rest with a windage and elevation adjustable front rest and "bunny ear" rear rest. Twenty 3 shot groups were fired allowing the barrel to cool completely. The smallest group measured .760 and the largest was 1.140. The overall average figured out to .992. Mission accomplished, but just barely. So what good is this load? Not much unless you like poking holes in paper. Next step will be to neck size, seat to correct OAL and see how they shoot. Might make a good hunting load that way.
[FONT=&quot] I do load some jacketed 180, 200, and 220 grain bullets for this one. It now wears a Simmons 3.5x10 scope. Maybe some day I can go elk hunting.[/FONT]

i have a bunch of Reloader 25 and H-870 but the reloader 25 burns cleaner than h-870.I have shot some awesome groups with my 338-378 with reloader 25.I usually use 140-155 gr bullets in my 264 wm.I have found no data for this powder for the 264 wm.

I developed a load with the 120gn Ballistic Tip/CCI BR2's in my 6.5-284Norma last year and the accuracy was/is top notch. Muzzle velocity averaged 3225fps and 58.5gn shoots sub 1/2" out to 500yds (that's as far as I tried it). This easily took a whitetail this past season at 200yds but during load develpment produced a 3-shot group just under a 1.5" at 500yds. I like it! JohnnyK.

I would again caution using RL-25 at extreme ranges because of the temp sensitivity. 500 yards, no problem, 1000 yards, big problem. My opinion......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.