Using own brass for Hornady lock n load

This is not a Hi Jack, I think the question applies to OPs needs and anyone else reading OPs thread.

I looked at the link when Mike21 posted it, now two of you have so I'm going ask why does Hornady make the comment below?
They probably use a depriming die to deprime while leaving the neck as is after firing. There is title or no neck tension on a factory modified case.
A

anyone know the thread size for the tap , I've tried5\16 x32 . which doesn't work.
The correct tap is available from Hornady or sites listed here by others. It's not a standard or common thread.as with all tapping they require the correct drill bit to match for best results.

If you can hold it tight without marking it give it a go . The prmer flash how is centred so with caution you could use smaller drills working up to the required size slowly. With care you might get it well enough centred

I have done them

Fairly easy to do it yourself ....

2CD07769-A25C-4EAD-AAD9-7664C8E200AC.jpeg

The method you are mentioning has been used for as long as I can remember and before any type of measuring tools were made. It's a tried and trued method, but you have to know what you are doing. The issue with this method is that if you don't know what you are doing you could be jamming bullets too far into the lands and then cause overpressure.
Thanks

if we want case base to ogive ..CBTO
.. a tool that measures shoulder datum to ogive . basically will give us half the measurements we need .

since case base to shoulder datum just has to be in saami specs .007 ish ..

sorry i cant agree with an industry leading company that sells people tools and also sell them tools to fix the tools tool , that gives up to saam variation -.007 ish .. is a good thing

on a positive note.. the new poeple that bought into this idea, who are either knowingly or unknowingly gettiing a saami varation difference in their actual jump measurement... at least it will always be shorter than jam .. rookie safe, im sure ydanroh lawyers love that .. oh and the unnessicary income of course , not nessicarily in that order

Last edited:
I can't believe there are extended posts on this simple post for someone asking for some help and many jumping into it. There is a wealth of info on this subject for using the Lock-N-Load tool in this forum and on the internet. I just suggested on the #3 thread that if 'RHAFO' needed some help I would assist him with him doing DYI or I would do it for no charge to help him out. If RHAFO wants to use the LNL tool let him.

you quoted me on my post on the topic .. saying it left possible jam

im glad you was able to help the OP

i reply to every quote ,
im saying it has unknown variation ... why measure

If memory serves me right, this has been disccused before. Though I have and use the Hornady tools, Alex Wheeler has a video on how to get a precise measurement without any modified cases.
look at the video "finding your lands"