Modified cases for Hornady Lock-N-Load gauge

I went down the rabbit hole of jump testing and just stopped because I was not really getting anywhere. Components are too scarce to waste on this IMO. I do like determine max CBTO for a given bullet/cartridge. Set at .02 off lands and move on.

If you are looking for a modified case that matches your specific rifle. You can send a once fired case (not deprimed or resized) to Hornady and they will create a modified case using that brass for $15.00 plus shipping to Hornady, The turn around is very quick usually inside of two weeks. Shipping location can be found on the Hornaday site. It's a very simple process.

I went down the rabbit hole of jump testing and just stopped because I was not really getting anywhere. Components are too scarce to waste on this IMO. I do like determine max CBTO for a given bullet/cartridge. Set at .02 off lands and move on.
Yeah I agree, basically this whole measuring to the lands thing is looking for a safe maximum, once you find that max, pick a starting point somewhere short and run it.

It's amazing that the majority of the time that one of the rules of thumbs typically works good enough for most shooting - 0.020" off, book COL, or match a factory loading.

I go full-nerd for some rifles, but two years ago I took a whitetail with literally the first load I ran through a rifle - 140gn Partition, book COL, charge was 93% of max, shot under an inch at 100 yards, dialed it up the number of clicks the calculator told me to, hit a 3" dot at 200 yards, killed Bambi's dad with the next shoot. So easy 😂

If you have a drill press, clamp 2 pieces of wood together, drill a hole a little smaller than the case diameter, clamp the fired round between the wood and your now square, drill case and install the tap in the drill press and work it by hand to tap.

Referring to what AZshooter explained as a method to determine OAL, I have found that his method works very well for any cartridge, in almost any rifle action. I follow his method except that I increase the internal diameter of the neck of the dummy round by a few thousandths. This still provides a slight grip on the bullet, and it allows the bullet to slide more easily into the neck when it touches the lands. I also use a black permanent marker to coat the ogive of the bullet so the marks of the lands can easily be seen. Works well and you aren't limited to which modified cartridge casings are available for the Hornady Lock-n-load system.

Coming in late on this Post
We could make you a Modified Case for Free if you send us Two fires cases.
We made many Modified Cases for other LRH members as well as other shooters at no charge.
Also if anyone else needs one made please PM us and I will give you shipping info.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Thank you. I'm amazed by the offers for free help I have received here. What a great community.

Recent Posts