Using drone to scout for animals?

I almost forgot, but you reminded me. That backpack hunt we just did? Just in case you were wondering, my dad packed in his own pack with all his own gear and carried his own rifle.

What I find is that it is really easy to be lazy 330+ days out of the year and then come hunting season, people need a quad. Like someone else pointed out above, there is a difference between lazy and disabled. I would like to add a third category that we all know exists: disabled through laziness. Notice I am not saying that all disabled people are lazy. But lots of 'em are!

Just because your father is in good health for his age doesn't mean you have the right to judge other people on how they hunt. Maybe he won't be able to do it next year although I hope he can. At that age things go down hill rapidly sometimes.
I had out of state bow hunters watch me shoot a doe at 600 some odd yards and they gave me hell and probably thought it was unethical and probably lazy. It's a good thing I don't give a rats *** what they think. Everyone has differing opinions but it doesn't make yours right. Live and let live

And in ur version of the future does terminator go back in time to go after you?
If someone wants to be lazy, who gives a ****? It doesn't affect me and if it does, find a new place to hunt! If they aren't breaking the law they can do what they want how they want. Maybe you should mind ur own business.
In my version of the future the terminator comes and shoves a mini gun up your *** and pulls the trigger, stop trolling.

Whoops threads gotten out of hand gents. Everyone take a deep breath and realize we are all on the same team.

I like how it's gone from drones scouting to everyone that hunts with a quad is lazy...I'd like someone to tell that to Jim Shockey and his Argo...lol

In my version of the future the terminator comes and shoves a mini gun up your *** and pulls the trigger, stop trolling.

I can't be trolling you if u are quoting me.....
Lol that got pretty personal, musta struck a cord

I like how it's gone from drones scouting to everyone that hunts with a quad is lazy...I'd like someone to tell that to Jim Shockey and his Argo...lol

That's right. Seems as though If he wanted to he could drive that amphibious thing right up to a moose. I'd like to be able to afford to have him guide for me. I'd be happy to shoot a monster bull leaning against his Argo

Too bad a person can't give their opinion on something without some Idiot disagreeing with everything that others say ! Then when you try to show some kind of prof they jump all over your case, you try to help people and they get offensive toward you even when you give a professional's explanation of something, they blame you for trying to push something of your own onto them! I guess you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink ! They always have something better to drink ! Their loss ! I see the same people disagreeing in many threads, just their nature to argue !

When it comes to pests, I'm not opposed to hi-tech solutions to rid them. I've read about a number of inventions to kill rats and possums in New Zealand and elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't advocate requiring each rat or possum (they are non native there) to be shot by someone with a primitive bow. And I personally don't care about people hunting invasive pigs with night vision equipment, or more.

But, this thread started thinking about use of drones for scouting our game resources, not just pests. When we're talking about shared (and limited) natural resources, we all have a stake in how our sport evolves. It simply won't work for us to say "what I'm doing doesn't bother you, so <insert expletive of your choosing> off." Thoughtful dialogue on a forum like this might give us the opportunity learn each others' opinions, and possibly even alter our own over time. I truly appreciate the passion folks on this forum have, and I hope we can keep open minds and as a community think about how the sport of hunting is evolving so we can preserve it, and our natural resources. If we do that, I bet we can influence it's trajectory more than some distant lawyers and bureaucrats.

When it comes to game animals, I think there should be boundaries to what technology is used. While drones are today's conversation, this topic will get more challenging for us as we see a steady stream of inventions that, if applied to hunting, will further diminish the chance an animal escapes. Should each of us be allowed to shoot a prized bull elk with a $100 tracking chip (once they're available) so we be the first to shoot it when season opens? There's a reason hunting regulations long ago were applied to private land owners and not just public lands. If not for that, anybody with land on a migration corridor would then "own" the resource, tell the rest of us to **** off, and could do whatever they want with them--including shoot every last one of them. They'd be doing what they want on their own land, so why should anyone care? Well, I bet we'd all care quite a lot.

Advanced cartridges, variable power scopes, range finders and more are things huge numbers of hunters have adopted (yes, I use these things also, in addition to the muzzleloader that I've taken most of my elk with). They have tilted the odds very highly in the favor of the hunter over the prey. At some point, hunting will simply become killing. I think there might be some boundaries worth keeping to prevent that.

As things are today, the sport of hunting still requires elements of stealth and concealment, proficiency with whatever weapon chosen, patience, perseverance, and much more. It can be exhilarating, brutally hard, joyful, peaceful, and even at times heartbreaking. I like that (and support accommodations for those with physical disadvantages).

What do we do when we clearly have enough technology that we could exterminate all the elk, pronghorn, and plenty more in America and beyond? Even if not restricted by law, would I want elk and other wild animals to be buzzed by drones year-round? Not one bit. I say we give them some peace and quite a few months of the year. And may each of us enjoy the rewards that come from our time in the field, whether successful or not.

Apologies for the long post. Must be sad all my big game seasons are over for the year.

When it comes to pests, I'm not opposed to hi-tech solutions to rid them. I've read about a number of inventions to kill rats and possums in New Zealand and elsewhere. I certainly wouldn't advocate requiring each rat or possum (they are non native there) to be shot by someone with a primitive bow. And I personally don't care about people hunting invasive pigs with night vision equipment, or more.

But, this thread started thinking about use of drones for scouting our game resources, not just pests. When we're talking about shared (and limited) natural resources, we all have a stake in how our sport evolves. It simply won't work for us to say "what I'm doing doesn't bother you, so <insert expletive of your choosing> off." Thoughtful dialogue on a forum like this might give us the opportunity learn each others' opinions, and possibly even alter our own over time. I truly appreciate the passion folks on this forum have, and I hope we can keep open minds and as a community think about how the sport of hunting is evolving so we can preserve it, and our natural resources. If we do that, I bet we can influence it's trajectory more than some distant lawyers and bureaucrats.

When it comes to game animals, I think there should be boundaries to what technology is used. While drones are today's conversation, this topic will get more challenging for us as we see a steady stream of inventions that, if applied to hunting, will further diminish the chance an animal escapes. Should each of us be allowed to shoot a prized bull elk with a $100 tracking chip (once they're available) so we be the first to shoot it when season opens? There's a reason hunting regulations long ago were applied to private land owners and not just public lands. If not for that, anybody with land on a migration corridor would then "own" the resource, tell the rest of us to **** off, and could do whatever they want with them--including shoot every last one of them. They'd be doing what they want on their own land, so why should anyone care? Well, I bet we'd all care quite a lot.

Advanced cartridges, variable power scopes, range finders and more are things huge numbers of hunters have adopted (yes, I use these things also, in addition to the muzzleloader that I've taken most of my elk with). They have tilted the odds very highly in the favor of the hunter over the prey. At some point, hunting will simply become killing. I think there might be some boundaries worth keeping to prevent that.

As things are today, the sport of hunting still requires elements of stealth and concealment, proficiency with whatever weapon chosen, patience, perseverance, and much more. It can be exhilarating, brutally hard, joyful, peaceful, and even at times heartbreaking. I like that (and support accommodations for those with physical disadvantages).

What do we do when we clearly have enough technology that we could exterminate all the elk, pronghorn, and plenty more in America and beyond? Even if not restricted by law, would I want elk and other wild animals to be buzzed by drones year-round? Not one bit. I say we give them some peace and quite a few months of the year. And may each of us enjoy the rewards that come from our time in the field, whether successful or not.

Apologies for the long post. Must be sad all my big game seasons are over for the year.
I agree, read my #2 in this thread ! When will we have enough technology to hunt with ?

I agree, read my #2 in this thread ! When will we have enough technology to hunt with ?
I agree BuckBuster. I was just framing my thoughts from the entire thread. The topic has succeeded in getting me thinking! Thanks for engaging.

It's not just hunting. Technology has infested all aspects of our life. To set back and look at it is sad but its a natural progression I think. I'm glad I won't live to see 50 years into the future but thats what my father thought too years ago, im sure.

I apologize for being a jerk with respect to some of my comments on this thread. Just because I've been disappointed with other people using quads illegally doesn't mean that everyone who uses them is lazy. I will always wish people respected the laws governing the use of them as they pertain to hunting. Stay safe, stay legal, and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.