using binoculars mounted to tripod

Reynolds02

Just wondering how many guys are using binoculars mounted to tripod to help find animals. Specifically finding elk in dark timber...I was listening to a podcast today and the speaker felt it help him triple the game animals he was able to spot using this technique. He said 99% of the usage from our eyes are for movement and 1% is for defining color and seeing the object. Now he also said training is needed to fully expand on this. It was interesting how he brought up the argument, how spotting with binoculars by hand everything is moving and it's hard for the eye to pick out movement because we can't quite hold that still.
Interested to see what you guys are doing and if many others are using a tripod. Also, if you are using it if you're definitely seeing a difference... thanks, Reynolds

i can assure you that it gives you a measurable edge, In fact if you use a heavy tripod and don't touch it, you are at another level. I use this method all the way to supporting my pair of Swaro 65 HD mounted as a big binoc. A very good pair of glass will also show you targets because of their color, even over long distances. I scan first for movement, second for color, lastly for image matching my target.

Just wondering how many guys are using binoculars mounted to tripod to help find animals. Specifically finding elk in dark timber...I was listening to a podcast today and the speaker felt it help him triple the game animals he was able to spot using this technique. He said 99% of the usage from our eyes are for movement and 1% is for defining color and seeing the object. Now he also said training is needed to fully expand on this. It was interesting how he brought up the argument, how spotting with binoculars by hand everything is moving and it's hard for the eye to pick out movement because we can't quite hold that still.
Interested to see what you guys are doing and if many others are using a tripod. Also, if you are using it if you're definitely seeing a difference... thanks, Reynolds

Here in Arizona I do almost all of my hunting with Binoculars on a tripod!! Regardless of what power of binoculars you are using you will find more animals with your specs mounted to a tripod. I typically use 15X56, but have buddies that use 10X42's and find tons of animals also!!

Hunting for me was night and day difference as soon as my specs found their way onto a tripod!!

That's good to hear, will definitely try it! Would you guys say you seeing better results when just glassing in general or more specifically when doing grid searching or a different method? At what yardage do you feel 10* is starting to not be enough when using it with a tripod? Thanks for the answers, Reynolds

He said 99% of the usage from our eyes are for movement and 1% is for defining color and seeing the object. Now he also said training is needed to fully expand on this. Reynolds

Using binos on a heavy tripod is fantastic to me. I use 15X58. What I learn from his theory about percentages is way off from my experience. I see color then shape. Occasionally I see motion.

I carry binos around my neck and use them maybe a total of 5-10 minutes a day. The glass on my tripod gets used for hours on end. I've used binos from 8-50x. The best thing for every single pair is putting them on a tripod. The more time you spend glassing the better you will be at it, there is also a learning curve and skill involved.

That's good to hear, will definitely try it! Would you guys say you seeing better results when just glassing in general or more specifically when doing grid searching or a different method? At what yardage do you feel 10* is starting to not be enough when using it with a tripod? Thanks for the answers, Reynolds

All of the above, its better in every way.

Chevy, Ford, yadda yaddah. Pa has many long range deer hunters as that state is the core behind longrange precision shooting. Many are scoping and shooting ground hogs which are a lot smaller than an elk.

I have glassed extensively for many years . At long distances spotting scopes are much more capable than traditional binos. If you use spotters for too long (fill in X hours a day) for your use you will know by splitting headaches that last for hours. Arbitrarily, I will not stay on a single scope for more than 3 hours a day. Work with a partner to trade off every 15 minutes or so and you likely will get through an entire day.

Last choice is you have to do it by yourself and for MANY hours at a time. You are then faced with taking extensive breaks or writing big checks for Big Eyes.

Hope this help because I don't want to be in a ******* match. I only have 50 years of experience in this matter so I could be wrong.

Yo buck,
lol well we do, and I'm sure there's many more things to learn,you do realize I am in the Western PA???we do, we're not glassing into timber it's called flat ground. It's either cut hay field, corn stubble, or bean stubble. I haven't had any issues glassing woodchucks and deer out to 1000 while using binoculars hand held ...bit I'll be interested to try this out for some of the longer periods.

You being from PA, I'm somewhat surprised by your question.
You are apparently not involved in l/r hunting in that state, but
it would be worth the effort to discuss optics with some who are.
I do not have access to spot for elk in dark timber on my way home from work or on the weekends like many Western hunters. They have been there, done that so I m looking for as many views/ perspectives as possible to be more prepared for the next trip west even though you may feel it was a stupid question. I have no problem spotting deer in open fields where we shoot and hunt here at home. We use binoculars by hand to look/spot for woodchucks out to 1200 in open fields and that's all is needed, once spotted we pull out the spotting scope. So the western style of spotting into dark timber is something I look to learn where we can improve only being out there 2 times and taking 3 animals doesn't even come close to the experience some have. There's always something to improve on...

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.