Binoculars - to RF or not to RF

Bill308

As I ponder my options for a new rangefinder I am seriously considering getting one of the new binoculars with built in rangefinder like the Leica Geovid HD or the like. The reason being is that I would prefer not to bring a dedicated RF AND binoculars into the field. That being said, technology keeps improving every year even with rangefinders, similar to buying an electronic device that works great today but is virtually obsolete in less than 5 years. Do you feel the same Achilles heel with bino's with RF built in? Or do you think I'd be pretty safe with today's technology.

One thought on this is simply, if it works, then why change, meaning that if I want a binocular with built in RF and I only need it to accurately range to 1000 yards within +/- a yard or two, then there is no need for me to upgrade in the future. Am I missing something here? Curious what others who have gone through this process have decided. Thank you.

You're pretty much on track. A buddy of mine has the Leica Geovids and they are great. As binos they are clear and the RF functions well even beyond 1000 yards. The one downside to them is the size and weight. Sometimes it's more than you want to carry in the field. That is where my small Swarovski shines. It's not great to glassing for a long time but when you want something small and light, it's just the ticket.

Thank you Trebark, that is definitely something to consider as well with the weight. I'm trying to go fairly light weight with my new custom build as well and the scope I put on top I want fairly light as well. At 34 oz the Geovid is a small tank. I love the new Zeiss Victory HT binos, but at 27 oz they're no light weights either. Something at 20 oz or less would be ideal, but then adding a stand alone RF is going to put weight back on and the cumbersome switch between the two. The heavier bino with built in LRF though I would think would cause fatigue quicker with glassing areas for an extended period of time.

So when is Leica or the others going to come out with a 20 oz bino with LRF?

That is my ? also, and you are not going to see it for a bit when my Swaro EL's are 20o oz. but the Lieca 1600 is 8 oz. You are still under weight, and as a bow hunter I can easly get by with LR OR a smaller pocket bino, which I do with a small Lieca. My dream RF has optics and weight of my EL and lazer of Vectronix with slope and balistic program. Good luck

I have been trying to sort out this exact same issue, I have been checking out the fussion 1 miles and the Swaro's along with the Terrapin which I really want one but that bought me right Back to the G7 because the freedom of choice that it Affords a person,

Although I have a range finder I also have my 10x50 Mark 4s with a mildot Retical in them which comes into its own when the conditions are to extreme for a Laser AS The MilDot Retical is not Limited to Distance or Weather, Not to mention No Batteries to die when out in the field. But where A Laser comes into it's own is where the size of a Target is unknown.

I Just want something that can hit 1760yds all day everyday

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.