US sniper in Iraq makes 1,250 meter shot with M24 7.62 NATO

Maybe I have become a little jaded from the continual beating our troops take from our own left leaning politicians and press. I found it interesting, maybe even refreshing to read a piece in a UK paper that actually used the term "kill" in reference to what our snipers do to the enemy. While the artical got a little wishy washy in the last sentence or two, it pretty much told it like it is in a non judgmental way. I find it interesting that our own press cannot seem to find the space to print similar stories like this about how our heros are over there KILLING the enemy, without making our troops sound like the enemy.

Glad I got that off my chest.......I just needed to rant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

PS. That was one heck of a shot!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RDM,
Your government had the guts not to except united nations legislation allowing our troops to be prosecuted by the very people they are out in Iraq to protect.
As far as i know there are currently several british
soldiers interned in Iraqi jails on jumped charges and our spineless government does nothing.
Disgusting and shamefull treatment from Tony Blair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Ian.

Centre Punch,

I could not agree more! It is certainly shameful for any government to send troops into a war zone, then prosecute them (or allow them to be prosecuted) for doing the job they were trained, then sent to do.

I'm certainly glad out govmnt has had the guts to stay out of the world court and will not allow other govments to prosecute our troops. I did not intend to sound anti US goverment in my rant......just anti those who seem to want to make our troops out to be the bad guys. Example: John Kerry in a speech (I think he was in Europe) said that our troops were "terrorizing helpless Iraqi women and children in the dead of night" THAT is the kind of stuff that makes me want to rant! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RDM416,

What you said, ditto w/o the rant.......

[/ QUOTE ]

muffy.gif

Those Marines can shoot!

If he help 12 ft for drop, I wonder what he held for windage. I know, depends on wind speed and direction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JD338

I am very surprised that the shot was at all possible, considering the "INFERIOR" optics (that we are led to believe by some posters)of the LEUPOLD scope being used. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It would have been virtually impossible for staff sgt Gillard to even "SEE" the target judging by the poor clarity of the LEUPOLD lenses we get told about, or the fact that the LEUPOLD scope was able to hold its zero long enough to get a shot off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Was the 12ft hold over actually a result of the faulty less then perfect LEUPOLD internal adjustment system we are often reminded about
Now that this LEUPOLD scope has been mounted on a rifle that has actually fired a shot, "Those in the know" tell us that it would have to go back to the factory for re-calibration! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I actually found it hard to believe that this shot had been taken with anything other then a S&B as we are constantly told that this is the only scope capable of this sort outstanding performance.

Ian.

Ian,

'Decaf only' for you from now on. OK? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Those Marines can shoot!

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially when they're in the Army! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Quote from story:
Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M-24 rifle, Army Staff Sgt. Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.