US AR MY 23.10 Manual

Are you referring to FM 23-10 Sniper Training? If so it will give some general knowledge on shooting but not the best resource. This site is actually a pretty good resource to find info, if you can sift through the self proclaimed internet experts and find the guys that actually put rounds on paper. There seems to be fewer and fewer on here now a days.

The US Army Field Manual 23-10 contains a lot of good information which can be helpful for the new long range shooter. While it is based upon the Remington 700 bolt action rifle and is intended for basic sniper training, there is enough in it to make it suitable for learning to shoot at long range using any modern day bolt action rifle. However, wading through its many pages and trying to separate the information into what's needed at what point in the shooter's development can be a bit overwhelming. It's also tempting to move too fast through the learning curve if you rely solely on that publication.
I'd recommend working with a book or instructor with a focus on mastering basic shooting skills. Then, perhaps, looking through 23-10 (it is interesting) and gradually building on those most basic elements.
I do believe it is possible to become an expert "self taught" long range marksman. The problem, as I see it, is that once you've developed a bad habit and have no source to rely upon for correcting it you're likely to remain a mediocre rifleman.
IMO, there is no substitute for an accomplished shooting coach. Keep in mind that, even with the manual, the military provides expert coaching.

gun) --------------

The hands down best read filled with facts would be applied ballistics by Bryan Litz. I read it and it took about a month to get through it but it was perfect for a normal person that isn't a math major.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.