Upper Reciever

Boozer

Hi all-

I have a very basic Olympic Arms AR-15 that I picked up used. It has the A2 carry handle style upper. I'm looking to swap it out to an A3 style with the rail so that I can mount a scope. I'm looking to keep cost down, so I was planning on buying a stripped receiver, and not a complete upper assembly. I'm not interested in using the scope mounts that fit on top of the carry handle. It pushes the scope way too high for my taste.

I've shot the rifle quite a bit, and as far as I can tell shooting iron sights, it's pretty accurate as-is. I don't know that it will be accurate enough for a long range gun, but I certainly don't want to do it a disservice by using a piece of crap. I've looked around and seen stripped uppers from $50 to $400. What's a good mid-range quality manufacturer to go with? There's so many! Also, I need M4 feed ramps, I've already experienced feeding issues without them.

Thanks,

Bryan

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Any other suggestions? Something tells me that if I stick with a reputable manufacturer and "mil-spec" there would probably be a number that will work fine?

I've had great luck with Seekins Precision. I own a 16 inch dmr that I built off of a seekins stripped upper and lower. Also have a sbr built with the same billet upper and lower.

For 80.00 you can buy a demo (scratch and dent ) Bravo company or 120.00 for off the shelf new. Both are good quality, have M4 ramps and work fine. Or for around 190.00 you could get a VLTOR MUR-1 billet upper which is a very nice piece.

For 80.00 you can buy a demo (scratch and dent ) Bravo company or 120.00 for off the shelf new. Both are good quality, have M4 ramps and work fine. Or for around 190.00 you could get a VLTOR MUR-1 billet upper which is a very nice piece.

I saw the VLTOR piece on Midway, but from the reviews i read, the forward assist isn't in the right spot, and may cause some problems? I'm just not as familiar with the AR platform as I am with bolt rifles so I'm trying to feel my way through these comments.

Totally understandable, with the miriad of products available for these guns it can be confusing to know what to buy and everybody always has a diffent opinon.

I read the comment you mentioned on midway. I am using the MUR on one of my carbines with a Fail Zero bolt carrier. I have never had any issues with the position of the forward assist not engaging the BCG.

The claim regarding the pinned on forward assist is IMO totally unfounded. I did remove mine to duracoat and they set the pin with a locking compound (probably green loctite or something similar) and it is extremely difficult to remove. I cannot imagine the circumstance that would make it fall out.

My personal expierence with them is favorable and i would use it again. The Larue Stealth is another good choice in the billet upper market however they usually run 250+ and can be difficult to find. I have not owned one but have shot them and they are nice.

I've got three rifles built on Mega upper and lowers. For the price, they re the best in my opinion. The heavy duty upper w/o FA is a tank...excellent for a long barreled accurate rifle build.

Lots of votes for mega... Not sure I want to spend that much, but we'll see. Next question, if I mount the scope, but don't replace the stock front sight with a gas block will it obscure the scope sight picture? If I have to replace the gas block, and then the hand grip, this will be getting more expensive than I really wanted...

You could get an upper with a rail height gas block. Look at Fat Boy Tactical. They have some really good deals on rifle kits. I've put several of these together and they are a really good inexpensive rifle.

Well, as if there weren't enough options out there already my buddy asked me if I was looking into gas piston systems, now I'm really headed down the rabbit hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.