Up and down hill shooting

Hold low. ALWAYS. The actual distance is always less than your rangefinder says( unless you have a ARC rangefinder). When I shoot up or downhill more than 15deg I usually just reduce the distance by 12% and that works pretty well as a rule of thumb. You can use a search engine like www.wikipedia.com to find out what cosine is. ( adjacent angle / hypotenuse if I recall correctly). All that is out the window though if you have tape on your muzzle.

Hold low. ALWAYS. The actual distance is always less than your rangefinder says( unless you have a ARC rangefinder). When I shoot up or downhill more than 15deg I usually just reduce the distance by 12% and that works pretty well as a rule of thumb. You can use a search engine like www.wikipedia.com to find out what cosine is. ( adjacent angle / hypotenuse if I recall correctly). All that is out the window though if you have tape on your muzzle.
Why would that be?

Technical articles section at top of this site has a whole article on this.Tape on barrel will have no affect.They shot w/tape on Long Range Pursuits and made long hits on steel.Ihave taped for 30 yrs and not caused a miss.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts