Unsure of ballistics

Srlkllr01

Hello fellow lead slingers over the years due to economy my once prized rifle collection has dwindled down to a mere two centerfire's,it makes me cry to say that but I'm left with a H&R heavy barrel 308 and a Serbu bull barrel 50 bmg carbine,my dilemma is I'm planning a elk hunt and have heard a lot of horror stories about using the 308 for animal's of this size not that it's not a capable round just minimal ballistics,so I was wondering do I load up for the 308 or load down for the 50 and if so what types of loads and bullet weights would you suggest to a person with no experience shooting animals of this size because I don't want to spend the money for my trip and license and not be able to capitalize on any opportunity that may arise within my own skill limits which is a self imposed 500 yards,I can keep my shots moa at that range and any help or suggestion's would be greatly appreciated.thanks to all with knowledge greater than mine, I strive to learn .

well compared to a trip from new york to elk country i think a new rifle would one of the cheaper items on the list. go grab a tikka t3 or some other, good shooting, cheap factory rifle and don't worry about it.

otherwise I would for sure not take the .50, and i wouldn't feel terrible about taking the .308, but i might keep my shots a little closer than 500 unless you're very very confident with your ability. you don't have a quick follow up shot with the handy rifle like you would with a bolt gun.

just go get a new gun,. you have a better excuse than most to buy a new one:)

Depends on where you go elk hunting. Shots can be from 50 yards to 1000 in Wyoming. My first elk was shot with a 270 Winchester. I then went to 300 Win Mag then to 300 Weatherby and now to 338 Lapua. But hey i shot my antelope and deer with the 338 Lapua this year so the bigger the better. The 308 will work ok. I consider an ethical kill range where I still have 1200 pounds of energy in the bullet.
Hope this gives you some Ideas.

If you are not planning to shoot over 500 I can not come with any reason to not use the 308, unless it is not accurate. A 165 Nosler BT at 2600 at 500 yards puts down almost 1200 lbs of energy and almost 1800 FPS. Depending on how high up in elevation that number gets better.

What ballistics and horror stories are you refering too? There are so many calibers and chamberings used out west for elk it is impossible to eliminate all factors. The longest shot any of my clients have taken is right at 400 yards. All others have been sub 300. I guess my point is that if you can put a 165 grain bullet within 5" of exactly where it should it be on an elk at 500 that elk is going to be dead. The question is can you do that at 8000 feet, on a steep mountain, with cross winds, up and down drafts, and slope angles 10-25 degrees, and in temps from 20-60 F.

Last but not least, it is very possible the 50 will not make legal restrictions. It would not in Idaho, just food for thought.

Hmmmmm,a new gun I've been wanting a 300.win mag or 338. for a long time now sound like a great excuse to add to my safe.and on another note thanks for the info about my 308 makes me feel better that It can get the job done.i have the confidence to put my shots where they need to be,I just wasn't sure if it was up to the challenge of a possible long shot without a tedious tracking job or a loss trophy.Colorado is my destination for elk and I'm in the process of checking the legalities and the gma's where plan on going.thanks again guy's.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.