Ballistics of 300 RUM

Tyler Holderby

Hey guys, first off I'm new to the long range shooting..I'm shooting a remington sendero 300 rum, sightron s3 on top, and using hsm 210 gr. ammunition...I have my rifle sighted in for 100 yards, and probably did this backwards but I have it sighted in at 500 yards as well, and no where in between yet..but my question is when i plug my info in a ballistic software it shows at 500 yards it should be 8.2moa, but with my rig at 500 yards 6moa is dead on...the hsm ammo says the velocity is 2935(i dont have a crono) but to get the ballistic program to show 6 moa at 500 yards i have to put in a velocity of 3300 or somewhere in that ballpark....I would just like to know all your opinions on this so hopefully i can get a drop chart more accurate and save me more money while dialing it in at all distances. The numbers just seem so far off, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong???

To give you more accurate help we need to have more info, like sight height, environmental conditions and sight in data your using.

Most 300rums should have no problem running 210gr bullets at 3100fps, it seems odd that that ammo would be that slow, try running it over a chronograph yourself, also what elevation are you shooting at?

To give you more accurate help we need to have more info, like sight height, environmental conditions and sight in data your using.

Sight height I measured it by pulling the bolt back and measuring the middle of the lens (1.75) The conditions are 80's temp, pressure 29.92, humidity 80%, no wind, elevation 1700...sight in data?? I'm getting all my ammunition inputs from hsm and berger bullets for b.c-velocity and so on...thanks for the help

Sight height I measured it by pulling the bolt back and measuring the middle of the lens (1.75) The conditions are 80's temp, pressure 29.92, humidity 80%, no wind, elevation 1700...sight in data?? I'm getting all my ammunition inputs from hsm and berger bullets for b.c-velocity and so on...thanks for the help

With those parameters, NFBal shows 8.00 MOA @500yds.

However, 3300fps would get you to 6.0 MOA. (possible, but doesn't seem likely)

You may have several small errors adding up.

- MV faster in your barrel
- 100yd zero not exactly 100 yds or exactly zero
- 500yd target not exactly 500yds
- not exactly level ground
- scope clicks not exactly 1/4 MOA
- up/head wind
- recoil/bag setup different for 500yds vs 100yds allowing more muzzle jump

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.