Looking for a new rifle, unsure where to start...help with caliber.

7MM Magnum, any flavor. Goes for most any of them. Hard to beat the balance of shootability, power, and range. Great choice for all non dangerous game in North America. Very hard to beat if you look at ALL the above factors.

I currently have a custom 223 and custom 308 that I use for plinking steel at the range. I'm wanting to step up to a all around rifle that could be used for antelope all the way to elk. I've considered the 270/30-06 but I don't know that I gain enough energy over the 308 at 500 yards to justify the upgrade. 500 yards is my limit to what I will shoot. More recently I've considered the 6.5 prc and a 7mm rm. I don't reload so factory Ammo is a must. I'm not interested in the 300wm or larger 30 cal rifles. This rifle won't see much range time, just hunting. It will be equipped with my 30p-1 suppressor so i will probably stick with a sendero contour barrel. Any help would be appreciated.
I have hunted Alaska for many years shooting moose, caribou and bears (both grizz and blackies), grew up in Utah hunting elk and deer and also hunted wild boar in Texas and now Germany.
My opinion (everyone has one) is go with 300WSM (I own 3 different guns in this caliber)
Being a short action saves weight on the gun
The 30 cal offers many bullet weights for different hunting/shooting
And having several 7mm, 300win Mags and 338win mag, the 300WSM
Doesn't feel like it recoils as heavy as many of the others I own and/or have extensively shot
Personally, I reload and use the same
Bullet for most of my hunting (190gr Nosler accubond long range) but for all around hunting the 168gr avcubond long range might be a better choice unless you find you are more often hunting heavier animals.
A great factory round is the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded 180gr bullets
Which I used after moving, with a new rifle, and no time to work up a hand load to take a couple of elk, one a nice 6x6 at just over 350 yards.
Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.