Unit 40 Idaho cow tag

Joefrazell

Hey guys, i happened to draw a cow elk tag in a unit I've never hunted. Unit 40 Idaho. The hunt also includes unit 42 and part of 41. All owyhee county. Im just a meat hunter and am looking to fill the freezer. Im in good physical shape and am not afraid to put miles on. Also have a 4 wheeler and it appears that the unit has a lot of trails/roads. I live near the unit and hike just outside of marsing often but have never seen an elk. I will be spending time this summer looking to locate some areas that hold elk. My question are elk typically found on the desert floor or up in the timber areas? You might wonder why I put in for this tag? My father in law wanted to hunt the area so we both put in for it separately. I drew and he didn't. He has a buddy that hunts there often and has success but I don't know if we will get any help from him or not and I'm not expecting it. Any advice on where to focus my scouting efforts is greatly appreciated!! Thanks

Please private message me with any specific info so we're not blowing up anybody's area online. Thanks again!!