Understanding VLD Seating Stems

amce

G'day all,

I reload for my .260 Rem using a Redding Competition Seating Die. So far I've been reloading with Lapua Scenars - 123 and 139 grainers. Was lucky enough to get hold of a box of Hornady A-Max in 140 gr so they'll be next.

From start I used the standard seating stem supplied with the die and was happy with that but during that time I read about VLD stems. That they should be used with VLD type bullets as these might "bottom out" in the stem. Sounded right to me so I searched Sinclair's web site and found a suitable stem named VLD standard length stem. Ordered it.

Doing some more research I stumbled over a VLD "long" stem. A mail to Redding gave me the information that a standard length stem was for 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 6.5 x 284 and 6.5 - 06. For the .260 Rem, using for example Scenars, A-Maxes and Berger VLD, a long stem was the correct one.

I'm stumped to see why as these bullets could of course be used in the above mentioned cartridges, i.e. the 6.5 x 47 L and so on.

Anyone out there in the know?

It's also rather weird that no information on the specific suitabilities of VLD stems is provided on either Redding's or Sinclair's web sites or in their catalogues. VLD stems are not mentioned at all in Sinclair's catalogue!

Cheers

Sounds like a bit of BS to me. More likely the "standard" seat stem was designed years ago before VLD bullets were avaiable on the open market. The manufacturers had no reason to change their product but are compelled to make up a story. Why wouldn't a VLD stem work with standard bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.