Berger VLD Seating Stems

AC300Win

Hoping for some help on seating stems for Hornady custom dies and Berger VLD bullets. The Berger site indicates that the Hornady stems for ELDX and ELDM's are suitable for secant ogives. The DX and DM stems are listed with different part numbers. Help with recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks

Hoping for some help on seating stems for Hornady custom dies and Berger VLD bullets. The Berger site indicates that the Hornady stems for ELDX and ELDM's are suitable for secant ogives. The DX and DM stems are listed with different part numbers. Help with recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks
Since Hornady specidically made them for the ELDX/ ELDM and Berger recommends them for secant ogives I'd be comfortable using them for VLD's. But you'd be best served by calling both manufacturers. At the worst you might need to lap the Hornady stem to better match the VLD.

Before you buy anything, check the stem that comes with the set. Turn the stem hole up, set a bullet into it.
  1. If it squares up, doesn't wobble, stands up straight, use it.
    1. 1647793383471.png
  2. If it hits the bullet point, drill it deeper or buy a deeper stem.
  3. If it doesn't hit the point but wobbles, buy a different stem, bed the stem, or lap the stem.
    1. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2020/04/tech-tip-lapping-the-inside-of-seating-stems/

If your stem doesn't work with the VLDs (it probably won't to be honest) and you need to buy a new one - IMO skip the M or X and get the A-Tip stem for that caliber. It's deeper and should fit better even without lapping.

These seating stems are designed to fit Hornady® Custom Grade™ Dies and are machined to fit the profile of the A-MAX, A-Tip, ELD Match, ELD-X, FTX and MonoFlex bullets to seat them as precisely as possible without damaging bullets.

I have a bunch of stems, .308 cal and maybe 6mm, plus some VLDs and A-Tips, if you want to see differences let me know and I'll try to take some pics tonight.

Pic source:

Last edited:
Thanks for input. Will keep trying to make contact with Hornady. Searched my question here before posting was hoping someone had results before possibly buying new dies. My Hornady stems fits much more deeply on a vld compared to my rcbs stem that engages much further out on bullet tip which can't be good.

I think slightly furter down on the bullet would be better, I think that's what you're saying also.

Three different stems, from left to right - 6.5mm 140 ELD, 6.5mm - 147 ELD, 6.5mm - 153 A-Tip, you can see the thickness difference in the edge:
IMG_9367.jpg

Two did fine, one did not, the 140 stem the bullet wouldn't sit square into the stem.

153.5 Hybrid:
IMG_9368.jpg

156 EOL:
IMG_9370.jpg

Before you buy anything, check the stem that comes with the set. Turn the stem hole up, set a bullet into it.
  1. If it squares up, doesn't wobble, stands up straight, use it.
    1. View attachment 351468
  2. If it hits the bullet point, drill it deeper or buy a deeper stem.
  3. If it doesn't hit the point but wobbles, buy a different stem, bed the stem, or lap the stem.
    1. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2020/04/tech-tip-lapping-the-inside-of-seating-stems/

If your stem doesn't work with the VLDs (it probably won't to be honest) and you need to buy a new one - IMO skip the M or X and get the A-Tip stem for that caliber. It's deeper and should fit better even without lapping.

I have a bunch of stems, .308 cal and maybe 6mm, plus some VLDs and A-Tips, if you want to see differences let me know and I'll try to take some pics tonight.

Pic source:
Redding has a stem specifically for VLDs....

I had that problem.I remedied it with a custom seating/mi ro-adjust die and K&M Precision Press with Dial Indicator.

I am using Hornady Match dies with the A-Tip stems with Bergers and it works fine.