Undergunned

So, I went out again last night.

The bear was not huge, but it was a nice one for my first.

Not sure what he weighs, gonna get him skinned and get him and taken to the taxidermist for a rug.

Was sitting in my stand it was getting dark, and was watching a tiny little deer running around probably 20 lbs lol....and partridge. when this guy walk in. *BANG*/Flop

Attachments

• IMG_4051.JPG
    IMG_4051.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I live in NB Canada.

I had confirmed on my camera that they were comming in at aprox 1830 hrs and staying till 0500 hrs. probably 6-7 bears.

So put out some goodies night before, then went to my stand at about 1730 hrs, lite a Tinks smoke bear cover stick. Then sat back and enjoyed the wildlife and stuff for aprox an hour before the young boar walked in.

Shot was not long, maybe 80 yds. Liquified his heart with a .300 wm, 165gr. SST on 78.5gr of H4831. It performed well for me.gun)

There are much bigger bears there, but time was against me, so I had to take what I could. Maybe a bigger one in the spring:D. Tiz ok by me, like I said im not disappointed.

Cheers,
JPB

So, I got him registered, weighed, skinned, and cut up today. Busy day for him :D.

He was 182lbs, gonna make a nice rug, had a little bit of a white V on his chest. I can't talk my wife into trying the meat....lol.... have to work on that one :). I cut it up myself which was a new one for me, but hey, gotta learn right?........

CHOW,
JPB

As a suggestion withe the meat I really reccomend getting cheese smokies done with bear meat. My step kids love them and even the wife can't turn them down. I do get mine done with extra cheese but thats just a personel preference. Also I make sure they use real shredded cheddar or marble and not cheese whiz or anything like it. Nice bear by the way, as far as the size goes, the mid sized bears seem to taste better anyways. Enjoy

Nice bear. Congrats. I turned my bear into pepper stick. That didnt last very long when I shared it with friends.

Tks for the advise on the meat.... So far all iv done with the meat is roasted in slow cooker with apples and veggies, and it is delish!!!!.....

JPB

congrat for your bear.

Next year try out that trick to turn the bear day time.

Take a cell phone(that you dont need for a few week.) put the volume up as possible. Put it in a box that is wather proof or in a place that wont take rain. As close a possible of your bait.
Then call your cell number at the hour the bear are caming at night. Dont worry about spooking the bear. That what you want...They will be afraid of going at night and become day time worker!! Do it as often as need.

Ok if the cell have no reception it wont work. Yes it take time and you got to weak up night time to call. But bet on my it gonna work!!

Stick to the 300wm, 223 is to lite for that fellar. just remember the bear can still eat you. i would use the 223 only in self defense while finding a tree to climb.:)

Bear Hunting magazine has some excellent recipes. So good that my kidscome back for seconds. Also unlike other meats, bear is sweet so a Balsamic Vinegar helps hide that when slow cooking.

I just got the Rugs/skull back and thought I would put up a few pics.....

TKS JPB

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 92
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 104
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.