Undergunned

jpbaker

Guys just a quick one for ya,

I got the pics off my camera and I have a large boar at my site, maybe 450 lbs which is pretty big for this area.

Question, since im wanting to get a nice rug made outta this beast, should I considering employing my .223 with a partition, or stick with my original plan of a .300 wm?

The shot will probably be taken around 100yds (i know not long, but...:))

TKS
JPB

No such thing as "overgunned" imo, but the concequences of being undergunned can be dire.
You don't -Need- a 300 to kill a bear, & ya, a 223 could get the job done, but why not err on the safe side? If your worried about Hyde damage, choose your shot wisley, & use the apropriate bullet.
Most taxidermists are quite skilled at stitching up holes, & you'll likely have more holes from skinning your critter than from a well placed bullet.
Bear fat equalls dull knives rather quickly, so be sure to bring some baby wipes for your blade(s) & a stone for touching up the edge.
Of the last 3 bears I got I only had 1 passthru, with bonded bullets no less, but the Hyde had its share of nicks & thin spots due to the akward task of skinning in the field on steep ground in brush. Never had a taxidermist say he couldn't fix or hide my blemishes.

Let us know how you make out, & wich cartrige you use.

Last edited:
TKS for the input, I will go with the 300wm and do some playing around with some loads. Gotta a couple weeks to get it together.

As far as skinning, I probably wont be doing it in the field, but tks for the advise about the dull knives. Probably take it right from the field to the taxidermist and let him do the skinning, then to the meat shop for the rest.

I will put up a few pics once the deed is done.gun)

TKS again,
JPB

post up your pics of this big bear !! or send them to me and I will put them up.

Why are you waiting a couple of weeks to get him ? Big boars have territory to cover, he might be gone in a matter of nights.....

I have to wait a couple weeks for season to open.

As far as pics I will post some when I get some new ones or upload them to youtube for you guys (they are 30 sec vids).

Since I live a little ways from my site, I usually put out 100lbs of bait at a time, and visit once or twice a week and check card.

TKS
JPB

Last edited:
Here are a few pics.

Let me know what you think!

I am having alot of night time feeders they are showing up around 6 and have activity pretty much all night.

They are going through aprox 160lbs of grain/bread/grease in a week. I have several large bears along with a couple sows with cubs.

I have no clue how many are hitting the bait, I had 138 pics/videos in aprox 6 days.:rolleyes:

TKS
JPB

Attachments

• PICT0044.jpg
    PICT0044.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 103
  • PICT0102.jpg
    PICT0102.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT0106.jpg
    PICT0106.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Yeah, He is the big one, I seen him last year, but could not get a shot off and let him walk.....glad to see he is still around :)

As you can see mostly night pics. They are comming in the evenings and night.

The Bait was put out around 1:30-2:30 on the 16th. As you can see He was there a several hours later, but then all the rest was basicly at night.

Now sadly. My camera got knocked around a bit on the 16th around midnight.

lost 17th 18th pics because the camera was knocked sideways. Somehow got straightened for some pics on the 19th and then I replaced the bait today on the 20th.....

So I guess since I am missing a couple days of pics and the bait was no doubt low, that they maybe there in daytime providing there is a full barrel (if poo will leave any for the rest :))

I have been out a couple days and......nothing!!!!

Passed up on a little one last night but im getting perturbed.

Was sitting in my stand last night and a "bird" hunter walked right in front of me and shot a grouse that I had been watching for the past hr (about 20-30' from my bait sight) AHHHHHHHHHH that was @ like 1800 hrs.

Going back out tonight I got some promising footage on my camera from evening on the 10th. So we will c.

No more signs of pumpkin head though :(. Right about now ill take anything over 200lbs. work aint gonna be cooperating with me the next few weeks.

Any ideas on getting them out in daylight instead of dusk????????

TKS
JPB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts