Under Annealed

newmexkid

Today I'm pretty sure quite a few of some cases I was annealing got under annealed. I was reading a book at my bench and listening to my annealing machine as the cases were annealed and clanged into a SS bowl. After about 30 were done I happened to look at the annealer. The flame had 'drawn' back and the tip of the flame was about 1/2" away from the cases. The annealed cases(?) hardly showed any color change. I never leave the annealer alone but, I guess not paying attention is just as bad! My question is, can I anneal the cases again or should I just fire them and then anneal later?

Looks like you can run it through again. Even if fully annealed it will only soften a little bit more. See below Cut and Paste from AMP's Website.

What if I accidentally anneal the same case twice?

Our target annealed hardness for all brass is 100 Hv. Provided the necks are harder than this to start with, that is what our programs are calibrated to deliver. If the same case is then re-annealed after cooling down, the neck hardness will drop slightly by approx. 4 Hv. The brass will still be fine, and when shot and resized it will come back to regular hardness. For absolute consistency we wouldn't recommend including that case in your match ammo, but it will be fine next time around. If the same brass is re-annealed when still hot, it will probably be ruined.